Milan (AFP) – Giuseppe Iachini has been named as Fiorentina coach just over four months after being sacked following the surprise resignation of Cesare Prandelli, the Serie A club announced on Wednesday.
Prandelli took over in early November from 56-year-old Iachini who had been in the post less than a year.
“(Iachini) will direct training and will resume contact with the team this morning,” the Tuscany outfit said.
La Viola dropped two places under Prandelli and are 14th, seven points above the relegation zone, with their next game at Genoa on April 3.
Prandelli stood down on Tuesday with the former Italy coach explaining in a letter he was unable to follow the current rhythm of football.
“I came here to give 100 percent, but as soon as I had the feeling that this was no longer possible, for the good of all I decided to take my step back,” the 63-year-old said.
“I am aware that my coaching career can end here, but I have no regrets and I don’t want to have any.
“In recent months, a shadow has grown inside me that has also changed my way of seeing things.”
Ex-Fiorentina player Iachini has managed Italian teams including Sampdoria, Palermo, Sassuolo and Udinese.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- USMNT World Cup kits real or fake? Combing through the clues
- Brighton sign Ecuador’s Estupinan from Villarreal
- PSV rescue Rangers draw as Obispo spares Benitez’s blushes in Champions League play-offs
- Ex-Man Utd star Giggs admits to lifelong infidelity in court testimony
- Our 6 way-too-early reactions to 2022/23 Premier League season
- Van Dijk says Nunez must ‘control himself’ after Liverpool red card
- Man City complete signing of Spanish defender Gomez
- International efforts needed to understand sport’s dementia risk: report
- ‘Very special’: English teenager Bynoe-Gittens extends Dortmund deal
- Where to find Rangers vs. PSV Eindhoven on US TV