New York (AFP) – Major League Soccer is investigating Inter Miami’s signing of French international Blaise Matuidi last year for possible violations of league salary budget and roster rules, the league announced Friday.
Matuidi, a midfielder who turns 34 next month, helped France to a 2018 World Cup title in Russia.
The long-time Paris Saint-Germain standout spent three seasons with Italian giants Juventus before signing with the David-Beckham owned Inter Miami on a free transfer last August.
Matuidi scored one goal in 15 appearances last year for the MLS debutantes, who are set to begin the 2021 campaign next month under former England women’s national team coach and Manchester United standout player Phil Neville.
Inter Miami said in a statement it looks forward to “fully engaging with the league’s review process.”
The club, bought at a discount as part of Beckham’s deal when he left Real Madrid to play for the Los Angeles Galaxy in 2007, made its long-awaited debut last year.
It landed Matuidi with allocation money rather than as a designated player, limiting his salary to $1.6 million.
Beckham serves as Inter’s president of soccer operations with partner Jorge Mas as managing owner.
Inter Miami went 7-13 with three drawn in its inaugural campaign to finish 10th in the Eastern Conference. The club was eliminated in the play-in round of the MLS playoffs.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Iran national team stands in solidarity after nation erupts in turmoil
- USWNT roster announced ahead of October friendlies
- 2023 Women’s World Cup tickets go on sale from October 6th
- MLS killed the TV star: A farewell to MLS regional broadcast crews
- 5 fundamental questions MLS must answer before Apple TV launch
- Study shows Premier League clubs hit hardest by injuries
- Todd Boehly in talks to purchase Portuguese club
- Qatar affirms COVID-19 tests requirements ahead of World Cup
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso