Paris (AFP) – Troubled Marseille ended a run of seven Ligue 1 games without a win by beating Nice 3-2 in a rearranged match on Wednesday, two goals from Tunisia attacker Saif-Eddine Khaoui helping revive their hopes of European qualification.
Marseille were missing several regulars from their starting line-up as they played a fifth game under interim coach Nasser Larguet, who has had to step up from his role as director of the club’s youth academy since the firing of Andre Villas-Boas.
They had won just two of their previous 13 games altogether, slumping down into mid-table, but this victory lifts them back up to sixth, within a point of the European places.
Amid growing speculation that they could appoint former Argentina coach Jorge Sampaoli — who is currently at Atletico Mineiro in Brazil — as the permanent replacement for Villas-Boas, interim boss Larguet saw defender Alvaro Gonzalez put Marseille ahead on 14 minutes.
The Spaniard volleyed home from the edge of the six-yard box after Dimitri Payet’s cross from the left was blocked and dropped into his path.
Payet’s backheel then released Luis Henrique, with the Brazilian teenager reaching the byline before cutting the ball back for Khaoui to score with a first-time finish.
Amine Gouiri pulled a goal back for struggling Nice just after the break, but Khaoui scored again in the 53rd minute, picking his spot when another Payet delivery was headed down into his path.
Marseille were still subjected to a nervy finish, though, with 20-year-old Malik Sellouki coming on for his top-flight bow and pulling it back to 3-2 late on.
Gouiri then hit the post with a last-gasp free-kick as Marseille held on.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Get a Paramount+ one month free trial for a limited time
- Who should host the World Cup Final in 2026?
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan
- Wimbledon, Tour, cricket and rugby find Covid still in the air