Berlin (AFP) – Borussia Moenchengladbach’s highly coveted coach Marco Rose will take over at Bundesliga rivals Borussia Dortmund at the end of the season, the two clubs announced on Monday.
Leipzig-born Rose, 44, has long been favourite to succeed interim coach Edin Terzic in the Dortmund dugout.
“We have had a lot of discussions about Marco’s future in the last weeks. Sadly, he has decided…that he would like to join Dortmund in the summer,” Gladbach sporting director Max Eberl said in a statement.
“Until then, we will give everything to reach our goals this season together with Marco,” he added.
Dortmund also confirmed that Rose would arrive in the summer, but did not go further into detail.
“Out of respect for all parties, Borussia Dortmund will only comment on the future under Marco Rose after this season,” the club said in a statement.
He will be charged with reestablishing Dortmund as the second power in German football behind Bayern Munich, after a difficult 2020/21 season under Terzic and former coach Lucien Favre, who was fired in December.
Having joined Gladbach in 2019, he led them to a top-four finish in his first year before guiding them to the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time in their history this season.
He previously spent two years at Austrian club Red Bull Salzburg, where he won back-to-back league titles.
A long-term target of Dortmund’s, he has also been linked to the Manchester United job in the past.
His current contract was set to run until 2022, but Gladbach said he had “taken advantage of a clause” which allowed him to leave for the Signal Iduna Park.
According to German magazine Kicker, the clause obliges Dortmund to pay a transfer fee of around five million euros ($6 million).
Sixth and seventh in the table respectively, Dortmund and Gladbach are direct rivals in the race for European qualification this season.
They are also set to face each other in the quarter-finals of the German Cup on March 2.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Tottenham closing on deal for Everton’s Richarlison – reports
- England’s White eyes Euro glory to cap glorious career
- With royal backing and a Snoop Dogg rap, Malaysia minnows challenge best in Asia
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil
- Lukaku completes return to Inter on loan from Chelsea
- German club wins inaugural European refugee cup
- Where to find Orlando City SC vs. Nashville SC on US TV
- Summer transfer market shakes up power dynamic among elite
- Where to find Vélez Sársfield vs. River Plate on US TV