Berlin (AFP) – New Zealand midfielder Sarpreet Singh returned to European champions Bayern Munich on Friday after his loan spell at German second division club Nuremberg was cut short.
Last season, the 21-year-old attacking midfielder, whose parents are from India, became the first player of Indian descent to play in the Bundesliga.
The Auckland-born midfielder was sent on a season-long loan to Nuremberg last July, but struggled to break into the first-team, starting five of their 18 league games so far this season.
“Together with Bayern and Sarpreet, we have agreed that this step is the right one for all sides,” said Nuremberg sports director Dieter Hecking.
Nuremberg gave no details of why the New Zealand international’s loan spell has ended prematurely.
Singh joined Bayern’s reserves from A-League side Wellington Phoenix in July 2019, but was promoted to the senior side by head coach Hansi Flick.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family