New Delhi (AFP) – India on Wednesday joined a five-nation race to host the 2027 Asian Cup, the continent’s biggest football tournament, as it steps up efforts to secure international sporting recognition.
Saudi Arabia and Qatar have already officially entered the fray and an All India Football Federation (AIFF) spokesman said the country’s documents would be sent to the Asian Football Confederation this week.
Iran and Uzbekistan have also said they will bid.
India, once called a “sleeping giant” of football by former FIFA president Sepp Blatter, has stepped up its interest in hosting international events in recent years.
It put on the 2017 under-17 men’s World Cup and will host the 2022 women’s Asian Cup and the 2021 under-17 women’s World Cup. India is also considering a bid for the 2032 Olympics.
AIFF president Praful Patel said the Asian Cup bid would further the country’s reputation as an emerging football nation.
“We look at it positively, we look at it aggressively. I have no doubt in my mind that India as a footballing nation by 2027 should be ready to not only host it but to participate in it meaningfully,” Patel told reporters.
Sports minister Kiren Rijiju said hosting the Asian Cup would be “a huge milestone” for the cricket-mad country of 1.3 billion people.
India’s men are currently ranked 104th in FIFA’s world rankings but the launch of the Indian Super League has brought increased international attention to the country.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Epic Everton comeback secures survival as Vieira kicks out at fan
- How Frank Lampard rescued Everton to Premier League safety
- Everton seal Premier League survival after epic escape, Burnley out of bottom three
- Everton’s epic comeback beats Palace to secure survival
- Hamburg close in on Bundesliga return after win in Berlin
- England footballers’ wives libel spat ends with judgment reserved
- Pep Guardiola’s title-decider selections a major challenge for City
- Women to referee at World Cup finals for first time
- Marseille’s Kamara in for Pogba in France Nations League squad
- Frank optimistic Eriksen will stay at Brentford