Washington (AFP) – Columbus Crew made it to the Major League Soccer final on Sunday after Artur scored the decisive goal in a 1-0 home win over New England Revolution.
The Crew, whose only MLS crown came in 2008, advanced to Saturday’s MLS Cup championship match thanks to Brazilian midfielder Artur’s strike in the 59th minute.
The Ohio team will host the winner of Monday’s semi-final between the defending champion Seattle Sounders and visiting Minnesota United.
“We’re not in this thing to get to the end to lose. We want to win the championship,” Crew coach Caleb Porter said.
“We have a great group. Great goal we scored. We should have scored more.”
The winning goal from the 24-year-old Artur came after Argentine Lucas Zelarayan’s long pass arrived at Ghana-born defender Jonathan Mensah, who chipped the ball into the penalty area.
Artur took the ball and smacked a left-footed shot just inside the near post and beyond the outstretched fingertips of diving New England goalkeeper Matt Turner.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22