Santiago (AFP) – Chile coach Reinaldo Rueda was embroiled in a row with Inter Milan on Thursday after complaining about the physical condition of forward Alexis Sanchez ahead of a 2022 World Cup qualifier with Peru.
Colombian Rueda said that “we’re no longer in the colonial era” as he fumed at Inter playing Sanchez for “45 minutes and then 90” in recent club matches despite the physical problems the 31-year-old had during his last spell with his national team in October.
Rueda infuriated Inter by saying that they hadn’t “take care of him, like we have”, leading the Italian club to call his comments “unacceptable, offensive and not based in reality”.
Inter said that they “always give the maximum possible collaboration and have excellent relations with the staff of international teams”.
“In Sanchez’s case the player has suffered physical problems during nearly all his international call-ups. In one of these he picked up a serious injury that kept him out of action for three months,” Inter added.
Chile go into their match with Peru on Friday with just one point from their first two World Cup qualifiers. They play Venezuela four days later.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Mancini thanks Chiellini before Italy send-off against Argentina
- How to watch UEFA Nations League on US TV and streaming
- Klopp shrugs off Mane speculation, but concerned over new Paris pitch
- ‘Things change’ – Ceferin warns Europe’s old elite before Champions League final
- UEFA chief Ceferin calls on La Liga to stop criticism of PSG
- Liverpool’s Thiago, Fabinho fit for Champions League final
- Champions League Final on TV: Liverpool vs. Real Madrid details
- Ibrahimovic intends to continue playing, says Maldini
- Zinchenko wants to make Ukraine ‘proud’ in World Cup play-off
- Ukraine’s Andriy Yarmolenko to leave West Ham