Paris (AFP) – Guus Hiddink’s latest stop on his well-travelled coaching career has taken him to Curacao, the Caribbean island state signing the 73-year-old Dutchman on a contract up to the 2022 World Cup.
“It may not be obvious, but it was difficult to say ‘no’,” Hiddink told Fox Sports of his new job with the side placed 80th in FIFA’s world rankings.
“Curaçao has made good steps in recent years and I would like to help the players and staff to get one step higher in the international ladder.”
The experienced tactician has been out of work since his sacking as China’s Olympic team boss last September.
In addition to two interim stints as manager of Chelsea, he has also coached Real Madrid, PSV Eindhoven and Valencia, among others.
But Hiddink is perhaps best known for inspiring co-hosts South Korea to a shock semi-final spot at the 2002 World Cup.
Curacao, a former Dutch colony with a population of almost 160,000 has yet to grace the World Cup stage.
Among the players at Hiddink’s disposal in his quest to try to steer Curacao through CONCACAF qualifying to Qatar are Juninho Bacuna and Leandro Bacuna who play for clubs in the English Championship.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- MLS Earthquakes name US assistant Gonzalez as coach
- What it’s like watching the Premier League from Hawaii
- Ineos billionaire Ratcliffe ‘potential buyer’ of Man Utd
- Mendy rape accuser tells UK court she tried to fight off footballer
- Man Utd legend Giggs cites disciplinary record in assault trial
- Christian Pulisic’s ominous, but necessary, move to Man United
- Sevilla sign youngster Nianzou from Bayern
- Ronaldo cautioned by police after allegedly slapping phone from fan’s hand
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham
- Dubai airport gears up to handle World Cup supporters