Sydney (AFP) – Australia’s domestic football league plans to restart on July 16, officials said Monday, with the 27 remaining regular season games crammed into less than a month.
The A-League was the country’s final active sport when the coronavirus pandemic began to take hold before being suspended on March 24.
But it is one of the last to resume, with rugby league and Australian Rules football already underway and Super Rugby due to kick off on July 3.
Football Federation Australia chief James Johnson said the A-League’s return followed a new pay agreement with players to cover the now extended season.
“We have all had to readjust to this new landscape and this has meant coming together to make sacrifices for the greater good of the game,” he said, without spelling out what the pay deal looked like.
The 11-team A-League kicked off in October and was nearing the end of its regular season when it was halted.
Head of Leagues Greg O’Rourke said the remaining 27 league matches will be contested over 28 days, starting on July 16, with five finals series games to follow.
“We can now focus on the testing of all players for COVID-19 before a return to training for the clubs this week,” he added.
Fans could be allowed into stadiums to cheer on their teams. The Australian government last week announced plans to allow up 10,000 spectators from a yet-to-be-decided date next month.
Football is not Australia’s most popular spectator sport, but more than two million people play the game countrywide.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- PSG appoint ‘proud’ Galtier as Pochettino departs
- Spurs new-boy Richarlison banned after flare celebration
- World Soccer Talk acquired by Playmaker
- PSG set to appoint Galtier as Pochettino departs
- Tottenham’s Son Heung-min says he faced racism as teen in Germany
- Where to find Boca Juniors vs. Corinthians on US TV
- England under pressure to make home advantage count at Euro 2022
- US, Jamaica women win in World Cup, Olympic qualifying event
- Ronaldo’s power play puts pressure on Ten Hag
- Galtier appointed PSG coach on two-year deal: sources