Nancy (France) (AFP) – Sevilla have been ordered by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to pay Nancy 3.7 million euros ($4.04 million) from the transfer of Clement Lenglet to Barcelona, the French club said on Wednesday.
The Ligue 2 club released a statement saying on April 14, CAS upheld a decision by FIFA last July, which ordered Sevilla to pay part of the original fee plus interest and costs.
When they sold 24-year-old Lenglet to Sevilla for 5 million euros in January 2017, Nancy negotiated a sell-on clause for 12 per cent of any transfer profit.
The second tier outfit’s statement explained that when the France defender moved to Barca in July 2018 for a fee of “more than 35 million euros”, Sevilla argued that because Lenglet had activated a release clause he had not been sold but released.
But CAS, like FIFA, “considered that Sevilla FC could not use this release clause as an excuse to avoid its obligation to pay.”
Nancy, who have a budget of around 15 million euros this season and were 12th in Ligue 2 when the season was interrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, said Sevilla had 45 days to pay.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Berkane set to face Nigerian club in quest for third CAF Cup title
- Former Man Utd star Giggs ‘headbutted’ ex-girlfriend in face, court hears
- Chelsea’s Werner returns to RB Leipzig
- Nigerian clubs out of luck in CAF Champions League draws
- ESPN renews English Football League rights deal
- Giggs assault trial: ex-girlfriend details ‘red flags’
- Everton sign Belgium’s Onana from Lille
- 2022/23 Serie A prediction: Who wins the Scudetto?
- Where to find PSV Eindhoven vs. AS Monaco on US TV
- Where to find Flamengo vs. Corinthians on US TV