Lausanne (AFP) – The coronavirus pandemic which has caused football to grind to a halt will also have a major impact on the transfer market value of players in Europe’s leading leagues, according to a study published on Monday.
The total market value of players in Europe’s ‘Big Five’ leagues — the top flights in England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France — will suffer a drop of 28 percent, from 32.7 billion euros ($36.2 billion) to 23.4 billion euros if no more matches are played this season and contracts set to expire in June are not renewed.
The study is the result of research by the Football Observatory at the Swiss-based International Centre for Sports Studies.
“The extent of the decrease varies according to several factors such as the players’ age, contract duration, career path and recent performance,” the study says.
Older players on relatively short contracts who have played fewer games this season than last are especially affected. It gives the example of Manchester United’s French star Paul Pogba, 27, who is out of contract next year and whose market value is set to be cut almost in half, to 35 million euros.
The study also estimates that Manchester City would see a total of 412 million euros wiped off the market value of their players, more than any other club in the leading five leagues. Just behind them are Barcelona, who would lose 366 million euros from the value of their squad, and Liverpool (353 million euros).
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family