Liverpool (AFP) – The final memorial service for the victims of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak, Liverpool Football Club announced on Tuesday.
Britain’s worst sporting tragedy, at Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield on April 15, 1989, had an eventual death toll of 96. Fans were crushed to death on the standing terraces.
“The Hillsborough memorial service planned to take place at Anfield on Wednesday April 15, 2020 to mark the 31st anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster has been postponed,” said a statement on Liverpool’s website.
Margaret Aspinall, who chairs the Hillsborough Family Support Group, said she hoped people would say a prayer for the families and the victims.
“In light of recent events, a decision was made collectively by the families to postpone our final memorial service at Anfield,” she said in the statement.
“We wish to keep as many people safe as possible and we believe this is the right approach.”
She said the plan was to hold the event at a later date.
More than 1,500 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Britain and more than 50 people have died. But health officials said last week the number of infections could be as high as 10,000.
Britain on Monday stepped up its response to the crisis, recommending household isolation, home-working and an end to mass gatherings.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan
- Wimbledon, Tour, cricket and rugby find Covid still in the air
- Maldini signs new two-year director deal with AC Milan
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille amid differences with club bosses
- Best still to come from ‘legend’ Salah after signing new Liverpool deal
- Salah ends speculation by signing new Liverpool contract
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille speaking of differences with club bosses
- Add a scarf of your favorite soccer team to our virtual wall
- Sampaoli leaves Marseille before Champions League return
- Moussa Sissoko joins Nantes from Watford