Berlin (AFP) – Former Germany goalkeeper Hans Tilkowski, who conceded a controversial Geoff Hurst ‘ghost-goal’ at the 1966 World Cup final, has died at the age of 84, his family told AFP subsidiary SID on Monday.
During the England v West Germany final at Wembley, Tilkowski, who made 39 international appearances, was beaten by Hurst’s shot which hit the cross bar and was adjudged to have crossed the line during extra-time before England went on to lift the trophy 4-2.
The incident continues to leave a mark on German football where the term “Wembley-goal” is used to describe goal efforts which are difficult to validate.
In English, “Russian linesman” is a term sometimes used to describe controversial refereeing decisions after Azeri Tofik Bahkramov gave the green light to goal.
“I will die with the certitude that the ball didn’t cross the line,” Tilkowski said of the incident.
Hurst, who had been informed of Tilkowski’s death by the family, paid tribute to the former keeper as a ‘terrific player’ and ‘fine man.’
“Very sad to receive a call earlier to let me know that Germany’s goalkeeper from 66 World Cup, Hans Tilkowski, has died,” Hurst tweeted.
“Terrific player for his club, Borussia Dortmund, and country and a very fine man, I very much enjoyed the time we spent together over the years.”
Tilkpowski won the German Cup with Borussia Dortmund in 1965 before clinching the European Cup Winners’ Cup a year later.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- RB Salzburg midfielder Aaronson joins Leeds
- Real Madrid remain Europe’s most valuable football club: studies
- Man Utd banking on Ten Hag to lift mood at Old Trafford
- Why possession is not the key factor in 2022 Champions League Final
- Bronze to leave Women’s Super League club Man City
- Ibrahimovic endured sleepless nights to deliver Serie A title for Milan
- Man Utd report revenue increase despite ‘disappointing’ season
- FIFPro sounds alarm over player workloads ahead of Champions League final
- Vote for the 2026 World Cup host cities in North America
- ‘One in a million’ Klopp makes Liverpool a European giant again