Arsenal need to strengthen their squad during the upcoming January transfer window, with defensive players being the highest priority. Reports are suggesting that funds could be an issue for the Gunners; however, we’ve previously heard similar stories prior to massive spendings with this club. Nevertheless, outgoings could be key to this particular January transfer window. Below are five players, as well as other positional possibilities, that could be options for the north London club next month.
Linked with the Gunners since the summer, Szoboszlai is an outstanding teen prospect. The versatile Red Bull Salzburg midfielder perhaps performs best in the number 10 role, however, he can also be deployed in central midfield and out on the flank. While some have suggested he could be a replacement for Granit Xhaka (should he depart north London), the 19-year-old playmaker could be more of an heir to Mesut Özil. With a reported €25 million release clause, Szoboszlai would be a reasonable attacking option for Arsenal.
Another player previously linked with the north London club, Upamecano would most likely be the number one target during the January transfer window. The Gunners have serious defensive issues and badly need an upgrade at center back. Upamecano is as well-rounded at his position as any player Arsenal are going to find. The RB Leipzig defender could potentially cost £40-£60 million, which could be an issue for Arsenal, but they desperately need to make a bold move in this area. Villarreal’s Pau Torres could possibly be a more affordable option at this position for the Gunners.
Supposedly wanted by previous head coach Unai Emery, Partey would be an excellent addition to this Arsenal squad. It has recently been reported that the Atletico Madrid midfielder wanted to join the Gunners during the summer and his father also made claims of a potential move to England in the future. The 26-year-old defensive midfielder would cost a pretty penny though and Arsenal would most likely only make a move if either Lucas Torreira or the aforementioned Xhaka leave the club next month. Denis Zakaria and Boubakary Soumare are other possible alternatives to the highly-rated Partey.
Reportedly heavily tracked by the Gunners, Volland would be an interesting addition to this team. Arsenal don’t particularly need another striker/winger as of right now. Nevertheless, they could be forced into a purchase up front due to a possible departure of either Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang or Alexandre Lacazette. Both stars are supposedly frustrated with the club and are open to leaving north London either in January or the summer. Volland isn’t necessarily the marquee replacement to either of the current dynamic duo, but a player swap with Real Madrid’s Luka Jovic is also a possibility.
Surprisingly enough, Arsenal entered the current campaign with just one natural right back in the team: Hector Bellerin. The Spanish defender has made just three Premier League appearances so far this season and the Gunners have been forced to play Ainsley Maitland-Niles or Calum Chambers at right back. Arsenal need to add depth at this position and Meunier would be a solid option. The PSG player is in the final year of his contract and could be bought at a significantly lower price than his actual value. The Gunners could also go for a young prospect to help learn under Bellerin’s tutelage.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family