London (AFP) – Tottenham striker Harry Kane vowed Wednesday to come back “stronger than ever” after his latest ankle injury cast a cloud over his side’s Champions League victory against Manchester City.
Kane limped off the pitch after a challenge with England teammate Fabian Delph during Tuesday’s 1-0 quarter-final first-leg win at the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
It immediately looked serious as Kane was unable to put any weight on his left foot and was helped down the tunnel, later leaving the ground on crutches and with the joint in a brace.
The club’s medical staff will allow any swelling around the joint to subside before a scan to reveal how bad the injury is, expected to be on Thursday.
“Gutted to go off injured but every setback is a chance to come back stronger than ever,” Kane tweeted.
“Big finish from the boys to go on and win!”
Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino admitted the injury could end the England captain’s season, which would be a huge blow to the club’s hopes of Champions League progression and also qualification for next year, with Tottenham still locked in a top-four battle.
“It’s very, very sad. It’s going to be tough and we’re going to miss him — maybe for the rest of the season,” Tottenham’s Argentine coach told BT Sport.
England boss Gareth Southgate will also be concerned, with the Nations League Finals looming in June.
Kane, who injured ligaments in his left ankle during Tottenham’s Premier League defeat against Manchester United on January 13, only returned in late February, after missing seven matches.
The 25-year-old, the winner of the Golden Boot at last year’s World Cup, has suffered five ankle injuries in just two-and-a-half years.
Tottenham’s talisman appears susceptible to ligament damage whenever he rolls or impacts his ankle in a challenge.
He has an impressive recovery rate but Pochettino will have to prepare to be without his top-scorer for the remainder of the season.
Spurs will look to Son Heung-min to step into the spotlight as the South Korean promptly did against City, hitting the winner after Kane went off in the 1-0 victory.
Son took centre stage during Kane’s last absence, scoring four goals in four games, while Fernando Llorente is likely to get a run-out against already-relegated Huddersfield on Saturday.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Spain without injured Hermoso for Euro 2022
- Cech joins list of Chelsea departures
- USA England World Cup tickets going fast
- A Review of ‘A Woman’s Game’ book by Suzanne Wrack
- Qatar warns against unauthorised use of World Cup logo on car plates
- Where to find Avaí vs. Palmeiras on US TV
- Where to find Atlas vs. Cruz Azul on US TV
- Where to find Philadelphia Union vs. NYCFC on US TV
- Bale confirms MLS move to Los Angeles FC
- Bale heading to MLS with LAFC move: reports