Berlin (AFP) – Thorgan Hazard missed a penalty but netted the decisive goal as Borussia Moenchengladbach battled to a 2-0 win over struggling Nuremberg to maintain their perfect home record and keep the heat on Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund.
The win puts second-placed Gladbach six points off the top spot while Dortmund, who have a game in hand, face Fortuna Duesseldorf later on Tuesday.
Having picked up just two points on the road this season, Nuremberg headed to Borussia Park as rank outsiders against a Gladbach side who have now won all eight of their home games.
The underdogs almost sprang a surprise on five minutes when Alexander Fuchs hit the bar and goalkeeper Yann Sommer denied Adam Zrelak on the rebound.
Gladbach soon took control of the game but wasted two superb chances before half-time. On 39 minutes, Hazard’s cross picked out Denis Zakaria a few metres in front of goal, only for the Swiss to fire his header straight at Tim Leibold on the line.
Hazard himself was left blushing moments later, after Gladbach were awarded a penalty for a foul on Florian Neuhaus. The Belgian attempted to chip his spot-kick down the middle, and watched on aghast as it floated over the bar.
His redemption came immediately after the break, as Gladbach counter-attacked and Hazard slotted in Ibrahima Traore’s low cross at the far post.
Four minutes from time, the home side broke away again and Alassane Plea secured the three points with a coolly taken finish.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22