Milan (AFP) – Duvan Zapata scored within the first minute as Atalanta piled the pressure on Lazio to boost their European hopes with a 1-0 win in Bergamo on Monday.
Colombian striker Zapata pounced on a Lazio defensive error after just 57 seconds to fire in his fifth goal in three consecutive league games.
Atalanta, now sixth equal on points with Roma and Sassuolo, move one point behind Lazio, in fifth, but without a win in their last five league games.
AC Milan, one point ahead of the Romans in fourth, the final Champions League spot, can pull clear of Lazio when they host Bologna on Tuesday.
Lazio defender Francesco Acerbi looked as if had grabbed a point with his injury time header but the goal was ruled out after long consultation with VAR for the defender’s foot being in an offside position.
Champions Juventus maintained their unbeaten record with a 1-0 derby win over Torino courtesy of a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty on Saturday.
Napoli are eight points behind the leaders after a 1-0 win over Cagliari, with Inter Milan third a further six points back after beating Udinese 1-0.
Behind the leading trio just three points separate AC Milan in fourth and Sampdoria in ninth place.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22