Kigali (AFP) – Liverpool midfielder Naby Keita had to be piggy-backed off the field by a Guinean team-mate Tuesday after hurting a hamstring because no stretcher was available in a Rwandan stadium.
He was the third Anfield star to be injured on Africa Cup of Nations duty after attackers Mohamed Salah (strained thigh muscle) and Sadio Mane (broken thumb) since last Friday.
A Guinean official confirmed to AFP that Keita, who joined Liverpool during the close season from RB Leipzig, had injured a hamstring but gave no further details.
The 2019 Cup of Nations qualifier at the Stade Nyamirambo in Rwandan capital Kigali finished 1-1, depriving leaders Guinea of qualification with two matchdays to spare.
Salah scored direct from a corner last Friday, but had to be substituted just before full-time as Egypt defeated eSwatini (formerly Swaziland) 4-1 in Cairo.
Mane suffered his injury while helping Senegal outclass Sudan 3-0 in Dakar 24 hours later.
Liverpool, third in the English Premier League behind Manchester City and Chelsea on goal difference, are away to third-from-bottom Huddersfield Town this Saturday.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Ex-Man Utd star Giggs admits to lifelong infidelity in court testimony
- Our 6 way-too-early reactions to 2022/23 Premier League season
- Van Dijk says Nunez must ‘control himself’ after Liverpool red card
- Man City complete signing of Spanish defender Gomez
- International efforts needed to understand sport’s dementia risk: report
- ‘Very special’: English teenager Bynoe-Gittens extends Dortmund deal
- Where to find Rangers vs. PSV Eindhoven on US TV
- Where to find LAFC vs. DC United on US TV
- Where to find PSG vs. Manchester United on US TV
- Where to find Bayern Munich vs. Barcelona on US TV