The Hague (AFP) – Mark van Bommel will replace Phillip Cocu as head coach at PSV Eindhoven, the Dutch champions announced on Friday.
“I think I have the experience to meet this new challenge, with a good feeling at the head of a team of this calibre,” said van Bommel, who is at the World Cup as an assistant coach with Australia.
After the Socceroos’ campaign in Russia is over the 41-year-old will return to the Netherlands to start his new job, PSV said.
“Mark will have the space to make small changes, but we, and he, believe in the personnel there at the moment,” PSV general manager Toon Gerbrands said on the club’s web site.
After winning a third Dutch league title in four years, Cocu has left for Turkish club Fenerbahce who announced his appointment earlier Friday.
Gerbrands said that PSV had first spoken to van Bommel two years ago about one day becoming head coach at PSV.
“He was open to it and we have given Mark the space to develop himself.”
Van Bommel worked as a youth coach at PSV for two years and in this World Cup cycle has acted as an assistant as his father-in-law Bert van Marwijk led Saudi Arabia to qualification and then took over Australia’s campaign.
As a player, van Bommel had two stints at PSV and in between played briefly for Barcelona, spent five years at Bayern Munich and also spent a season at AC Milan. He appeared 79 times for the Dutch national team.
Cocu, who is 47, was also a midfielder. He also had two stints as a player with PSV and followed the well-travelled road between the Dutch club and Barcelona where he played for six seasons. He made 101 appearances for the Netherlands.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Arsenal face Chelsea, Everton and Orlando on US summer tour
- ‘All heroes’ – Trapp hails support as Frankfurt win Europa League
- Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers on penalties to win Europa League
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women footballers
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob
- Lampard warns Everton against treating Palace clash as ‘all-or-nothing’ game
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women soccer teams