London (AFP) – Everton manager Sam Allardyce dismissed a survey sent to fans asking to grade his performance out of 10 as a mistake on the part of the club’s marketing director, who doesn’t “understand” how football works.
As part of a questionnaire, supporters were asked whether they agree with the statement of: “I have a high level of trust in the current manager and coaching staff at Everton e.g. in making the right decisions to get the best out of the team.”
Recipients are invited to rank that statement from one to 10.
“From my point of view and the football side point of view, it was a big mistake,” said Allardyce.
“Our director of marketing is not a great understander of football and how football works because he is into marketing.
“He must have thought it was the right thing to do but clearly everyone else hasn’t, even the chairman.”
Allardyce has endured stinging criticism from Everton supporters unhappy about his direct style of football and the team’s inconsistent results since he took charge in November.
However, the former England manager fiercely defended his record at Goodison having led the club away from the danger of a relegation battle up to ninth in the table.
“When a season has been completely disrupted unexpectedly it throws a club into turmoil and chaos and when I arrived it was chaos,” he added.
“Until someone rings me up at the very highest level and says, ‘Sam, you’re not wanted any more’. Then I’ll hold my hands up and say, ‘If that’s how you feel then fine’.
“But I’d be extremely disappointed if that was the case. In fact I’d be much more disappointed than extremely.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Serie A reaches TV rights deal with Abu Dhabi Media
- ESPN reveals Women’s Euro 2022 commentators and analysts
- Barcelona sell 10% of Liga TV rights to US fund
- How Antonio Conte revitalized Spurs into an elite side
- Morata to return to Atletico as loan at Juventus ends
- Tottenham closing on deal for Everton’s Richarlison – reports
- England’s White eyes Euro glory to cap glorious career
- With royal backing and a Snoop Dogg rap, Malaysia minnows challenge best in Asia
- LAFC ‘perfect for me’ — Chiellini
- Three Boca supporters arrested for racism, Nazi salute in Brazil