Piraeus (Greece) (AFP) – Spanish coach Oscar Garcia will take over Olympiakos, replacing interim coach Takis Lemonis, the Greek champions announced on Friday.
While the club did not specify the duration of Garcia’s contract, Greek media reported that he signed for 18 months with the option to extend the contract should both sides agree.
On Thursday Olympiakos, who travel to Larissa on Sunday as the Greek Super League returns from its winter break, released 58-year-old Lemonis, who had been hired by the club for a fourth time in September following the dismissal of Albanian Besnik Hasi.
Lemonis guided them to the top of the Super League before the winter break, having also led them to league titles in 2001, 2002, 2007, 2008 and 2017.
Garcia, 44, quit as coach of French first division side Saint-Etienne in November after five months in charge.
He began his playing career with Barcelona where he stayed for six years, before playing for Valencia, Espanyol Albacete and Lleida.
Garcia’s coaching career led him to two doubles with Austria’s Red Bull Salzburg (2016 and 2017) and one Israeli championship with Maccabi Tel Aviv (2013).
He also coached English clubs Brighton and Watford.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ‘Things change’ – Ceferin warns Europe’s old elite before Champions League final
- UEFA chief Ceferin calls on La Liga to stop criticism of PSG
- Liverpool’s Thiago, Fabinho fit for Champions League final
- Champions League Final on TV: Liverpool vs. Real Madrid details
- Ibrahimovic intends to continue playing, says Maldini
- Zinchenko wants to make Ukraine ‘proud’ in World Cup play-off
- Ukraine’s Andriy Yarmolenko to leave West Ham
- Mane promises ‘special’ answer over future at Liverpool
- Melbourne City aim to emulate Man City with back-to-back titles
- Euro glory would make Liverpool the best ever: McManaman