Madrid (AFP) – Former West Bromwich Albion manager Pepe Mel was sacked by Deportivo la Coruna on Tuesday after just eight months in charge.
Appointed in late February, Mel managed to keep the Galicians in La Liga last season, but Monday’s 2-1 home defeat to Girona left Deportivo in 16th, just two points above the relegation zone.
“The board of directors of Real Club Deportivo has decided to rescind the contract of Pepe Mel as coach of the team,” Deportivo said in a statement.
“Cristobal Parralo, coach of RC Deportivo Fabril (Deportivo’s youth team), will take over until the end of the season.”
Mel becomes already the fourth managerial change in La Liga this season as Alaves and Villarreal sacked Luis Zubeldia and Fran Escriba respectively last month.
And Manuel Marquez also resigned as Las Palmas coach after just six games in charge.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Arsenal face Chelsea, Everton and Orlando on US summer tour
- ‘All heroes’ – Trapp hails support as Frankfurt win Europa League
- Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers on penalties to win Europa League
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women footballers
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob
- Lampard warns Everton against treating Palace clash as ‘all-or-nothing’ game
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women soccer teams