Southampton (United Kingdom) (AFP) – Sofiane Boufal was left beaming after scoring a sensational solo goal in Southampton’s 1-0 win over West Bromwich Albion on Saturday, describing it as a “very special” goal.
The 24-year-old Morocco winger picked the ball up midway inside his own half in the 85th minute at St Mary’s and surged past five opposition players before sliding a shot into the bottom-right corner.
“My first Premier League goal of this season, yes, it’s very special,” Boufal told BT Sport.
“The most important thing is we take three points — more important than my goal.
“I scored one in France I remember, but I am so happy with this goal.”
Boufal had come on as a substitute and he made a point of celebrating right in front of Saints manager Mauricio Pellegrino, who has given him only one league start this season.
“I am so hungry,” said the former Lille player. “The most important thing is to show the manager on the pitch I can play with this team.”
Boufal’s goal — his first since December last year — lifted Southampton to 10th place in the table, two points above 13th-place West Brom.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22