Jerusalem (AFP) – Israeli police dismissed on Tuesday local media reports that a pitch invader who ran towards Spanish attacker Isco at a World Cup qualifier in Jerusalem was carrying a knife.
Israeli news website Ynet cited security officials in the stadium as saying six fans entered the field as the game was ending late Monday, with one of them carrying a small knife in his sock.
He approached the Real Madrid star but did not threaten to attack him, the report said, before being arrested.
Other Israeli media reported the allegation, but police and football officials denied it.
Police spokeswoman Luba Samri told AFP no knife was found inside the stadium.
A spokesman for the Israeli Football Association confirmed a fan ran towards Isco but said “no knife has been found.”
Spain won the game 1-0 to finish five points clear at the top of their group and qualify for next summer’s World Cup.
Asier Illarramendi scored the only goal of the match, a spectacular 75th minute volley, ensuring Spain finished the group unbeaten with nine wins and a draw.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Arsenal face Chelsea, Everton and Orlando on US summer tour
- ‘All heroes’ – Trapp hails support as Frankfurt win Europa League
- Eintracht Frankfurt beat Rangers on penalties to win Europa League
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women footballers
- Tuchel tells Chelsea to prepare for ‘rebuilding’ to keep up with rivals
- Charlotte vs Chelsea tickets on sale for July 20 clash
- ‘Uncomfortable’ Magath plots against old club Hamburg in play-off
- Senegal probing feared homophobic attack by mob
- Lampard warns Everton against treating Palace clash as ‘all-or-nothing’ game
- ‘Historic’ equal pay deal for US men and women soccer teams