Madrid (AFP) – Spain coach Julien Lopetegui drafted in Alvaro Odriozola, Jonathan Viera and Aritz Aduriz on Monday to replace the injured Dani Carvajal, Andres Iniesta and Alvaro Morata respectively for World Cup qualifiers against Albania and Israel this week.
Lopetegui also has the task of calming tensions around the squad in the wake of Gerard Pique’s statement that he will retire from international football if Lopetegui or the Spanish Football Federation deem his defence of an independence referendum for Catalonia problematic.
The referendum, deemed illegal by the Spanish government, sparked violent scenes in Catalonia on Sunday.
Pique is due to arrive in Madrid to meet up with the rest of the squad later on Monday.
Real Sociedad full-back Odriozola and Las Palmas midfielder Viera have received their first call-up to the Spanish senior side, while veteran 36-year-old striker Aduriz is rewarded for his fine early season form.
Carvajal missed Real Madrid’s 2-0 win over Espanyol on Sunday due to a virus.
Barcelona said in a statement that Iniesta will be sidelined for 10 days due to a hamstring strain, whilst Morata was also forced off early in Chelsea’s 1-0 defeat to Manchester City on Saturday with a hamstring problem.
Spain lead Group G of European qualifying by three points from Italy with one win from their final two games likely to be enough to automatically qualify for next year’s showpiece in Russia thanks to their far superior goal difference over the Italians.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Kompany ‘parts ways’ with Belgium’s Anderlecht
- FOX & fuboTV’s UEFA Nations League plans raise concerns
- Robertson urges Scotland to put sentiment aside in Ukraine play-off
- Klopp confident Thiago will be fit for Champions League final
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season as Mane hints at exit
- Tirana inhabitants brace for Conference League final after clashes
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season
- Greatest soccer film ever made? Victory deserves a consideration
- Boehly’s Chelsea takeover puts US tycoon in spotlight
- Stade de France gets new pitch for Champions League final