Estoril (Portugal) (AFP) – UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin vowed on Wednesday to reform the transfer system to stem the talent flow towards the richest clubs.
“We’ll develop something akin to tax on luxury goods or limits on squad size,” Ceferin said on the sidelines of a UEFA congress in Portugal.
“This would be done to stop one or two clubs gathering all the best players to their team,” he added. “We cannot allow the size of a few clubs to drown out the smaller ones.”
In a January report UEFA said there had been a dramatic shift of talent and finance towards richer clubs over the past six years.
Figures in that report said the top 15 clubs in Europe had seen their financial turnover increase 148 percent in that time while for the other 700 clubs this increase had been just 17 percent.
Ceferin has also vowed that there will be no European super league formed under his watch.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family