London (AFP) – Sunderland manager David Moyes has accused Jeremain Lens of being “disgracefully disrespectful” after the Netherlands midfielder said it would be good for him if the Premier League strugglers were relegated.
Lens is currently on loan at Turkish club Fenerbahce after being recruited by former Sunderland boss Dick Advocaat, who brought the 29-year-old to the Stadium of Light in July 2015
Advocaat is keen to strike a permanent deal for Lens and Sunderland are prepared to sell the player, who failed to make an impact during his 13 months on Wearside.
However, no agreement is in place yet and the former PSV Eindhoven star was widely quoted in the Turkish media this week suggesting that Sunderland’s relegation from the Premier League might make it easier for him to get a permanent transfer.
With Sunderland currently stuck in the relegation zone, that comment drew a furious response from Moyes.
“It’s disgracefully disrespectful to the club which holds his registration,” Moyes told reporters on Friday.
“You would hate to think that anybody who was connected to a club had said that.”
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & MLS
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more