Marseille (AFP) – France need midfield star Paul Pogba to hit peak form when Les Bleus take on Germany for a Euro 2016 final place, coach Didier Deschamps said Wednesday.
Juventus star Pogba started the European Championship finals amid high expectations but has not consistently sparkled.
“Paul is someone who needs tranquility and serenity. It’s difficult because you (media) talk about him every day, but he’s relaxed,” Deschamps said.
“He knows that he’s capable of leading the team, and for the past two matches he has played really well.
“Tomorrow, we need him to be on top of his game.”
The 23-year-old did not hit his stride until France’s convincing 5-2 win over Iceland, when he rose to meet Antoine Griezmann’s corner in the 20th minute to double France’s lead.
The hopes of an expectant nation will now rise again ahead of the blockbuster clash against world champions Germany in Marseille on Thursday.
Asked if he had found the “real” Pogba again, Deschamps replied: “I didn’t lose him, and I didn’t find him again. Maybe it was a little bit difficult (for him) at the start but he’s always been there when we need him.”
France last beat Germany at a major finals at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso
- Barcelona VP says Messi return would be ‘possible financially’
- Brands hoping World Cup boosts Gen Z interest in soccer
- Hummel makes statement with World Cup kits for Denmark
- 3 reasons Arlington is not ideal host for 2026 World Cup final
- Richarlison racially abused in Brazil’s win over Tunisia
- Where to find Chelsea vs. West Ham on US TV
- USMNT staggers into World Cup following draw with Saudi Arabia
- 2026 World Cup Final will reportedly be in Arlington, Texas