Glasgow (AFP) – Champions Celtic capped off their season in style with a 7-0 thrashing of Motherwell at Parkhead before they were presented with the Scottish Premiership trophy.
Kieran Tierney grabbed his first goal for Celtic with a superb strike in the 21st minute before Australian international Tom Rogic tapped in a second just five minutes later.
Stand-in skipper Mikael Lustig then headed home from a corner in the 28th minute to leave the Motherwell defence stunned.
There was no let up in the second half as Stuart Armstrong scored a superb 50th minute goal before Patrick Roberts made it 5-0 four minutes later.
Ryan Christie drilled home his first strike for the Hoops in the 59th minute before debutant Jack Aitchison, the youngest player ever to play a competitive match for Celtic, scored with his first touch in the 77th minute just seconds after replacing Rogic.
It was the perfect send-off for departing manager Ronny Deila as Celtic finished the season 15 points ahead of Aberdeen, who lost 4-0 at home to Ross County.
“It was like I had dreamed of,” Deila said. “It was a good performance from a young team who I think are the future of this club.
“It was 7-0, a sunny day and a very good atmosphere so it was a perfect ending for me.”
Motherwell manager Mark McGhee said he had been optimistic of getting a positive result before the game.
“I didn’t see that coming,” a stunned McGhee admitted.
“Ultimately as a team we didn’t work hard enough and looked as if we had already downed tools ready for the summer.”
Motherwell goalkeeper Conor Ripley made a string of saves before his goal was finally breached in the 21st minute following a fine strike from Tierney. The Celtic wing-back collected a pass from Roberts and dodged a couple of challenges along the edge of the box before drilling a low shot into the bottom corner.
Celtic scored a stylish second five minutes later as Armstrong latched on to a clever flick to race in to the box but saw his effort come back off the base of the post to Rogic, who tapped into the empty net from five yards out.
Lustig, captaining Celtic in the absence of Scott Brown, then headed home a third from close range at the back post after Ripley had come for Armstrong’s corner and missed.
The onslaught continued in the second half with Armstrong adding a fourth just minutes after the break. Lustig motored down the right before crossing to the edge of the box where Armstrong took a touch to flick the ball up before turning and unleashing an unstoppable shot into the top corner.
Roberts added another four minutes later as he collected a Callum McGregor pass before curling a shot round Ripley.
There was to be no let up and Christie made it 6-0 before the hour mark. Rogic went on a surging run before playing Christie in and the teenager drilled a low shot under the despairing Motherwell goalkeeper.
Aged just 16 years and 71 days, Aitchison became the youngest player ever to represent the club in a competitive match as he replaced Rogic in the 76th minute.
Just a minute later he became the club’s youngest goalscorer as he latched on to a pass in the box and sent an angled strike in to the net.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family