After Sunday’s thrilling 1-1 draw between Manchester United and Leicester City, the race to determine who will win the title comes down, at least for the time being, to the Chelsea-Spurs game. A win for Spurs and they’re still in the race. But a draw or a defeat will hand Leicester the Premier League title.
So when was the last time Spurs beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the league? It was 26 years ago — in 1990 — when Gary Lineker scored for the Lilywhites.
Chelsea have nothing to play for but many of their fans and a few players have been vocal about their unwillingness to see Spurs win the title, so they will definitely try to kill off their rivals’ title chances.
The Blues bounced back from their 3-0 trashing at the hands of Manchester City a fortnight ago with a 4-1 win against Bournemouth last weekend, which moved them up to ninth on the table with 47 points.
Tottenham only managed a 1-1 draw at West Brom last Monday but only a win will do for them here if they are to sustain their title push.
For Chelsea, both John Terry (calf) and Gary Cahill (illness) are unlikely to feature so we can expect either John Obi Mikel or Matt Miazga to partner Branislav Ivanovic at the heart of the defense.
Thibaut Courtois could return in goal in place of Asmir Begovic but Guus Hiddink is unlikely to make any further changes from the side that started at the Vitality Stadium last weekend.
For the visitors, Dele Alli is suspended for the rest of the season after punching Claudio Yacob in the last match which could see Heung-Min Son back in the starting XI. Nabil Bentaleb (knee) is the only other absentee for Mauricio Pochettino’s side.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family