Hundreds of column inches have been written in recent months on Leicester City’s monumental rise from relegation fodder to title favorites in the space of twelve months. Nevertheless, it still seems so surreal. Out of nowhere, Claudio Ranieri’s boys have sprinted ahead of the multi-millionaires residing in London and Manchester. And with just six matches remaining, they look closer to winning the title.
From Jamie Vardy’s record run of scoring in consecutive games to Ranieri showing that his pathetic exploits in Greece were just a blip in a remarkable career, Leicester’s season has truly torn apart all the scripts written before a ball was kicked last August.
To try and put everything in perspective, here are some numbers that demonstrate the remarkable nature of the Foxes rise to power.
1. Leicester have won five of their last six games by a 1-0 scoreline.
2. They have conceded just 12 goals in the past 21 games (an average of 0.5 goals conceded per match).
3. On April 3, 2015, Leicester were rock-bottom of the Premier League, seven points from safety. Fast-forward one year, and they moved seven points clear at the top of the table.
4. In the last 38 games (including the last 6 games of last season), Leicester have accumulated 82 points (an average of 2.15 points per game).
5. This season, it took Leicester 10 games to register the club’s first clean sheet. In the last 10 games, they have kept an amazing 7 clean sheets.
6. Leicester are 18th in a table of percentage possession (just 44.8%) and 19th in percentage of successful passes. They are however 4th in aerial duels won per game.
7. They are first in the number of interceptions per game and second in the number of tackles per game (behind Liverpool).
8. Leicester have scored 4 goals on the counter, the most of any side in England. They have also scored 8 penalties – three more than any other side.
9. Riyad Mahrez has scored 16 goals and contributed 11 assists during the current Premier League campaign. By comparison, last season’s player of the year Eden Hazard had scored 14 and assisted nine times last season. And there are still 6 matches to go!
10. Mahrez and Vardy have scored 64% of Leicester’s league goals.
11. While Harry Kane has scored three more goals than Vardy, the Leicester frontman has 5 more assists than the Spurs poacher.
12. The only defender to provide more assists than Christian Fuchs in the Premier League is Bournemouth’s Charlie Daniels.
13. N’Golo Kante is in the top two of players performing both the most tackles and interceptions per game in the Premier League.
14. Along with Andrew Surman, Toby Alderweireld and Ashley Williams, Wes Morgan has played every minute of their 32 games (goalkeepers excluded).
15. Captain Wes Morgan and Vardy were both bought for a fee of £1 million from Nottingham Forest and Fleetwood Town respectively.
16. Kasper Schmeichel only cost around a reported £400,000 more.
17. For that sum, Schmeichel cost more than Mahrez and Danny Drinkwater combined.
18. The current left flank of Marc Albrighton and Christian Fuchs was acquired for free.
19. In the same summer transfer window, Kante was brought to England for £5.6 million, while Chelsea splashed out a combined £35.4 million on Pedro and Baba Rahman, Manchester City handed £32 million to Valencia for Nicolas Otamendi while Newcastle parted with £12 million for Florian Thauvin.
It brings things into perspective, doesn’t it?
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more