Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a serious knee injury, the club have confirmed.
Assessments have revealed the 27-year-old ruptured an anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during Holland’s Euro 2016 qualifier in Kazakhstan on Saturday.
A club statement added that Krul will now return to Tyneside for further treatment and rehabilitation.
The news is a serious blow for Magpies manager Steve McClaren, who is already without second-choice keeper Karl Darlow due to a foot injury.
The statement added: “Everyone at the club wishes him a speedy recovery.”
Krul suffered the injury when he landed awkwardly on the artificial surface and was forced off after 81 minutes of Holland’s 2-1 win at the Astana Arena.
Newcastle have also announced that 18-year-old Freddie Woodman has been recalled from his loan spell at League Two Crawley.
The club have endured a poor start to the season and are bottom of the Barclays Premier League without a win after eight games.
Krul released a statement via Twitter which read: “I’m devastated the scan has confirmed my biggest fear that I have torn my knee cruciate playing for Holland in the game vs Kazakhstan last night. My recovery and hard work starts now to fully recover.
“I’m devastated I can’t play a part on the pitch to help the team turn this season around. I still believe this club can and should be up there with the top teams.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Liverpool fans confident Reds will bounce back after Champions League setback
- Salah’s Egyptian fans share in his Champions League misery
- UEFA blames ‘fake tickets’ for Champions League final delay
- Courtois earns respect with heroics to thwart Liverpool in Champions League final
- Liverpool will ‘come again’ after anticlimactic end to stellar season
- ‘I can’t do much more’ to win Ballon d’Or – Benzema
- Families of Liverpool staff caught up in Champions League final chaos – Klopp
- ‘Fake tickets’ to blame for Champions League final delay, UEFA say
- Real Madrid win Champions League; Ancelotti breaks record
- Ancelotti keeps calm amid the storm to make Real Madrid champions again