Manchester United is preparing a world record bid of £100 million for Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale, according to the Sunday World.
The story from the British publication comes on the heels of manager Louis van Gaal’s statement earlier today that his side does not need to add any more firepower before the close of the transfer window on September 1.
The Sunday World claims that United insiders have confirmed they are going to do all they can to pry Bale away from Real Madrid during the final week of the transfer window, with the order specifically coming down from Van Gaal who placed the club’s move for the Welshman in the hands of United chief executive Ed Woodward.
Real Madrid have insisted they have no intention of selling Bale, who they signed from Tottenham during the summer of 2013 for £86 million. However, the Wales international endured a difficult 2014-15 campaign and has continued to be singled out for abuse from club supporters – as well as being criticized by the Spanish press.
Bale has been consistently jeered at the Santiago Bernabeu and a recent online fan poll saw Real Madrid supporters vote the forward out of Rafa Benitez’s starting eleven.
United are also determined to hold on to goalkeeper David de Gea this summer. But the belief is that the club would be willing to let the Spain international go, if Real Madrid sign off on a deal for Bale.
Van Gaal and Woodward have come under fire after Chelsea appeared to trump United to the signing of Barcelona forward Pedro last week.
During his pre-match press conference on Friday, the manager denied ever having an interest in the former Barcelona player and supported Woodward’s abilities in transfer dealings.
Despite completing the signings of Memphis Depay, Matteo Darmian, Morgan Schneiderlin, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Sergio Romero; some United supporters are calling the current transfer window a ‘failure’ and have questioned the leadership of Van Gaal, as well as the bargaining abilities of Woodward.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family