Borussia Dortmund have appointed former Mainz 05 boss Thomas Tuchel as their new head coach effective July 1.
The 41-year-old has signed a three-year contract with the Bundesliga club and will be unveiled as the new coach in the week that follows the conclusion of the 2014-15 campaign.
The West German native was reportedly eyeing up a move to Hamburg, and was also rumored to be a contender to replace Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich, when the Spaniard’s contract expires in 2016.
Tuchel took charge of Mainz 05 between 2009 and 2014. He directed the club to a fifth place finish in 2011 but surprisingly asked to be released from his contract prematurely last season after finishing in seventh place. The club refused to release him from his deal and the manager ultimately left his position in May 2014.
He has been on gardening leave ever since.
Tuchel was made the leading candidate to replace Jurgen Klopp after the current Dortmund coach announced earlier this week that he would be leaving his position at the club after seven years in charge.
Under Klopp’s guidance, Dortmund won back-to-back Bundesliga titles in 2011 and 2012 and reached the 2013 Champions League final.
However, this season the team has struggled in the Bundesliga and are in danger of missing out on European football altogether next season. They were also eliminated from the Champions League in the round of 16 by Juventus.
Speaking at his press conference earlier this week, Klopp detailed the reasoning behind his decision to ultimately leave the German club.
“I always said in that moment where I believe I am not the perfect coach anymore for this extraordinary club, I will say so,” Klopp said.
“I believe this is the right decision at the right time. I have in the last weeks and days asked myself if I was still the right manager and I wasn’t sure. I couldn’t answer with a ‘yes’.”
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family