Fernando Torres has passed his medical with Atletico Madrid and completed his first full training session with his new teammates.
The on-loan striker from AC Milan took part in a solo training session late Tuesday afternoon, but today commenced work with the full squad under the instruction of manager Diego Simeone and his staff.
Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo informed the media on Tuesday that his manager had “specifically requested” Torres be brought back to the Vicente Calderon. Many around the club feel if there is any person who can help get the best out of what’s left of the struggling striker during the remaining years of his career, it’s Simeone.
Los Colchoneros practiced as a team on Tuesday, but Torres was unable to be involved at that time because he was in-flight from Dubai, where he had traveled with AC Milan as the club prepared for their friendly versus Real Madrid (which Milan ending up winning, 4-2).
The striker arrived in Madrid and three hours later took part in solo session at the club’s training complex in Majadahonda under the instruction of fitness coach, Oscar Ortega.
During today’s session with the squad, Torres was greeted warmly by players and staff; and shared a brief hug with former-teammate and current-Atletico Madrid boss, Diego Simeone.
By all accounts, the Spaniard’s first training session with the full squad was a success.
Atletico Madrid plays its first match of 2015 on January 3rd at home to Levante. Torres will be presented to supporters on Sunday afternoon at the Vicente Calderon and his 18-month loan will be made official on January 5th, the day the Italian transfer window opens.
The 30-year-old striker’s debut with his boyhood club should take place a few days later when Atletico Madrid take on crosstown rivals Real Madrid in the first leg of the Copa del Rey Round of 16 on January 7th at the Vicente Calderon, with the return match being played eight days later at the Santiago Bernabeu on January 15th.
Note for US viewers: Atletico Madrid vs. Real Madrid will be shown LIVE on beIN SPORTS and DishWorld at 2:55pm EST on Wednesday, January 7th 2015.
Torres first La Liga match will likely be against second-place Barcelona at the Camp Nou on January 11th. (This match will also be carried by beIN SPORTS and DishWorld starting at 2:55pm on Sunday, January 11th)
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Questions for Paris after Champions League ‘fiasco’
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Huddersfield vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV
- Football fans allowed for China’s Covid-delayed kick-off
- Liverpool fans confident Reds will bounce back after Champions League setback
- Salah’s Egyptian fans share in his Champions League misery
- UEFA blames ‘fake tickets’ for Champions League final delay
- Courtois earns respect with heroics to thwart Liverpool in Champions League final
- Liverpool will ‘come again’ after anticlimactic end to stellar season
- ‘I can’t do much more’ to win Ballon d’Or – Benzema