Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse is facing a three-match ban after being charged with violent conduct by the Football Association for using his elbow on Everton’s Seamus Coleman.
The FA’s video review panel looked at the incident, which happened in Newcastle’s 3-2 win on Sunday, and decided it was worthy of a charge and three-game ban.
Cisse has until 6pm on Tuesday to respond or else accept the ban which would begin with immediate effect.
If he accepts the charge, Cisse would miss the home match against Burnley on New Year’s Day, the FA Cup third round trip to Leicester at the weekend, and then the visit to top-of-the-table Chelsea on January 10.
After Sunday’s match Everton boss Roberto Martinez insisted Cisse should have been sent off for the “unacceptable” incident – especially as the striker went on to score.
Martinez said: “It is unacceptable, that action from Papiss Cisse.
“You don’t want to see that on a football pitch, that shouldn’t be allowed. Two players fighting for their position at a dead-ball situation and you end up deciding to take the law [into your own hands] by elbowing a fellow professional, it’s unacceptable and that should have been a red card.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Arsenal vs Spurs: TV coverage details
- Premier League All-Star game reportedly still in the works
- Christopher Nkunku already completed Chelsea medical – reports
- Bundesliga adds two new statistics to broadcast, app
- EPL commentator schedule: October 1-3
- American businessman reportedly in talks to buy Everton
- Alfie Haaland suggests his son could soon leave Manchester City
- How DAZN acquiring Eleven Sports affects soccer fans in USA
- Where to find Puebla vs. América on US TV
- Where to find Hull City vs. Luton Town on US TV