Connect with us

Leagues: EPL

Top 5 Recommended Soccer Podcasts

Apple Earphones

Finding quality soccer podcasts is sometimes like trying to find a needle in the haystack, such is the sheer quantity available. But to make your life easier in your search of the best of the best, here are the top 5 recommended soccer podcasts out there along with my video review of each one and details on how to subscribe.

5. World Soccer Talk Podcast

Launched in 2006, the World Soccer Talk is the longest running soccer podcast in the business, and for good reason. The show is now hosted by Nick Webster, formerly of FOX Soccer.

Subscribe: World Soccer Talk Podcast on iTunes, World Soccer Talk Podcast RSS feed, World Soccer Talk Podcast on Stitcher, World Soccer Talk Podcast on TuneIn, World Soccer Talk app for iPhone, iPad and iOS devices, and World Soccer Talk app for Android devices

4. BBC World Football Phone-In Podcast

BBC 5’s football phone in isn’t a traditional podcast. But, for us stateside, we get to listen to it as such.

It’s non-traditional format allows listeners to be exposed to questions that are out of most people’s field of view.

3. Men In Blazers Podcast

Always entertaining, great guests and hilarious pronunciations. From Grantland to NBC, MIB are truly american soccer journalism’s success story.

2. ESPN FC Podcast

ESPN FC gives us the thoughts of ESPN pundits such as Steve McManaman and Ian Darke. Succinct, conversation-driven, a must-listen pod.

1. Football Weekly Podcast by The Guardian

Hosted by the inimitable James Richardson, this podcast is entertaining, informative and all-encompassing.

Editor’s note: Nipun Chopra is the co-host of the ULF Podcast (United and Liverpool Fans).

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
22 Comments

22 Comments

1. Pakapala

October 8, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I would say the new WST cast and format is an imporvement from the previous one. It souds more professional as well without being too scriptic.

Not sure I would put ESPN FC that high on the list, it wouldn’t even be in my top 5. Men IN Blazers is unlistenable to me. I even tried giving them another try this season after they moved to NBC and I just cannot get into their Late Night Show format.

My weekly listened podcasts include (beside the 3 on your list I listen to): RMC’s L’Afterfoot (french), The Spanish Football Podcast (Sid Lowe’s pod), Second Captains Football (Irish Times), BBC’s World Football, The Press Pass (Talksport), La Liga Weekly (Sky Sports), Off The Ball (Newstalk.ie)…

2. JS

October 8, 2014 at 11:14 am

I absolutely love The Football Ramble. Funniest thing around 🙂

• Nipun

October 8, 2014 at 11:19 am

The Ramble is quality! Just missed out on my Top 5.

3. Scott

October 8, 2014 at 9:05 am

I would recommend these 5:
    – Howler Radio
    – Soccer Morning
    – Total Soccer Show
    – BBC 5 Live’s Football Daily
    – Extra Time Radio (MLS)

For team-specific, I’d say that Tottenham’s Fighting Cock and Spurs Show are two podcasts that set a great standard for entertainment and analysis.

4. Femi Fadayomi

October 8, 2014 at 8:47 am

While the new podcast is quite different from previous episodes with Laurence; I must say I do feel as though I enjoy the new ones a bit more. I am a long time listener of the podcast, and it’s actually exciting to see what’s next.

I also appreciate the Gaffer shedding some light as to why changes were made to the podcast.

P.S. Can you expect Laurence, Morgan e.t.c to make guest appearances here and there in the new podcasts?

5. Thariq Amir

October 8, 2014 at 3:36 am

The Football Ramble is definitely worth a listen. They balance football analysis and humour extremely well.

If you haven’t heard it already I’d recommend Second Captains Football @ The Irish Times. Very well produced, the hosts, Eoin McDevitt & Ken Early, are an entertaining pair and it’s complete with good quality guests.

We Are Going Up is great if you’re interested in football played in the Championship, League One and League Two.

• Nipun

October 8, 2014 at 11:18 am

The Ramble was #6. It’s definitely one that I listen to. So, I agree with you there. I haven’t checked out the Second captains football, but will do so. Thanks for the tip! -Nipun

6. Paul

October 7, 2014 at 5:43 pm

1.World Football Phone in with Dotun and Vickery
    2.Football Weekly
    3.Tuesday Club
    4.Beyond the Pitch
    5.The Game(Times football podcast).

-Gaffer, the new Podcast is good actually. I just hope there was also a midweek podcast like before.

7. EDub

October 7, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Let’s go to London …

LITERALLY.

Love the new pod, guys, keep ’em coming. I think they have just the right mix of facts, ridiculousness, and non-sequitur to be truly entertaining.

Keep up the good work.

8. christian

October 7, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Glad to see others stating their displeasure with the current WST pod. Glad your numbers are better Gaffer but clearly those are new listners who don’t know the quality they’re missing.

If Nick continues with his grating style I’m sure you’ll see your numbers drop soon enough.

• Christopher Harris

October 7, 2014 at 4:32 pm

It’s a different style, I admit, but another reason I decided to switch to a new crew was because Laurence had a very busy schedule and wasn’t available as much to be the host of the podcast. Plus on top of that, most of the podcast episodes of late that were hosted by Laurence were recorded on a Sunday but weren’t released until Tuesday or sometimes even Wednesday due to his busy schedule. The consistency and quality wasn’t there. The standards dropped, so I felt it was time for a change.

With Nick and the new crew at the helm, every single podcast this season has been released on schedule, and have been enjoyable to listen to.

• christian

October 7, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Thank you for the glimpse into why Laurence isn’t on the pod anymore.

I support what you do Gaffer as this site and the pod have been and will continue to be a big part of my enjoyment of football. I’m glad you’re addressing some issues here and hope that you can pass some of these along to the guys on the podcast.

Cheers.

• Mark

October 7, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I’m feeling the same as Christian and the others, but I am going to still listen from time to time and hopefully Nick will grow on me.

Are there any plans to expand the show to two episodes a week? I use to enjoy the weekend preview episodes a bit more.

• Christopher Harris

October 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

We’ll definitely consider a midweek pod especially if enough people request it.

9. Cody

October 7, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I used to not miss a WST podcast went several years without missing one, but haven’t listened since Laurence left. Best days were Loz, Kartik, Kris, & Matt (maybe Morgan, although he failed at unbiased analysis).

My top 5 would include BBC Monday night club & the football ramble.

10. Tony Butterworth

October 7, 2014 at 3:49 pm

WST podcast has always been unlistenable to me.

Can’t listen to MIB either, too much unnatural shtick.

I totally agree with Guardian Football Weekly being #1

Won’t list to ESPN since they dropped the far more relatable crew from Soccernet.

Love World Football Phone In though technically not a podcast

The Game from the Times is my second place favorite.

• Nipun

October 8, 2014 at 11:21 am

I haven’t checked out the game before. Thanks for the tip and thanks for watching.

11. Eric

October 7, 2014 at 3:40 pm

World Soccer Talk podcast has taken a serious dive since the new host took over. Used to be good analytic and entertaining. Now they “analyze” stories in the my hyperbolic way possible. I can hardly listen anymore.

• Christopher Harris

October 7, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Sorry to hear that Eric, but the number of subscribers has nearly doubled since launching the new-and-improved podcast, compared to the previous crew, so we’re sticking by our decision and completely support Nick Webster, Nate Abaurrea, David Mosse, Kartik Krishnaiyer and Robin Burt. It’s a different style, but I hope you give them a chance.

• Sako

October 7, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Totally agreed about WST taking a dive since Laurence and Kris are gone. Never really enjoyed Kartik on the pod.

• Nipun

October 8, 2014 at 11:20 am

I have to disagree re: Kartik. He is ace.

• Brad

October 7, 2014 at 6:14 pm

It was taking a dive last year. Glad to hear some fresh voices and different opinions this year.