What happened in Vegas didn’t stay in Vegas for Arsenal star Jack Wilshere as he was recently caught smoking a cigarette while partying poolside. He duly apologized, saying “Of course I regret it…I have kids myself and I don’t want them growing up to think their dad smokes and it’s ok for a footballer to smoke because it’s not.”
Some may wonder how a player capable of regularly running more than 7 miles in a match could afford to smoke but such is the power and ignorance of youth. In my college days, I used to stupidly look forward to a good smoke after playing basketball as the running would open up my lungs.
Hopefully Wilshere’s learned his lesson but such is the fallibility of youth that it certainly won’t be the last time a famous footballer is captured puffing away in a haze of invincibility.
In a more ignorant age stars like Stanley Matthews could appear in an advertisement happily endorsing a cigarette that suits his vigorous training best. England and Everton legend Dixie Dean went so far as to advise youngsters on which brand is best to compliment their game. Going back further, the first football trading cards were sponsored by cigarette companies.
It’s understandable that athletes would want to let loose after the repression and rigors of in-season training. As the above image shows, many superstars across the ages have indulged in a smoke. But if any player needs a reminder of smoking’s danger then they just need to look up at Newcastle United’s main stand. It’s named for Toon Titan Jackie Milburn, who passed before his time due to lung cancer.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Former Man Utd star Giggs ‘headbutted’ ex-girlfriend in face, court hears
- Chelsea’s Werner returns to RB Leipzig
- Nigerian clubs out of luck in CAF Champions League draws
- ESPN renews English Football League rights deal
- Giggs assault trial: ex-girlfriend details ‘red flags’
- Everton sign Belgium’s Onana from Lille
- 2022/23 Serie A prediction: Who wins the Scudetto?
- Where to find PSV Eindhoven vs. AS Monaco on US TV
- Where to find Flamengo vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Cash-strapped African clubs eagerly await Super League riches