The public arguments between Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan and Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay have escalated to the point that Tan has told Mackay to resign or risk being sacked, according to a report by BBC Sport.
Tan reportedly sent a highly critical e-mail to Mackay, where he warned the manager to resign or he will be sacked.
The tense situation between club owner and manager erupted last weekend after Mackay said he wanted three signings in the January transfer window to strengthen his Welsh side. Tan released a statement that declared that “not a single penny will be made available in January” to Mackay.
The Scot responded two days ago by stating that he would not resign, despite speculation that his position at Cardiff was untenable given the situation.
But the drama exploded again this week in two developments. The first being Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, who faces Cardiff in the Premier League this weekend, who criticized Vincent Tan:
“My only conclusion when I look from the outside is you’ve got a business guy operating the club who obviously knows nothing about football.”
Now with the reliable source of BBC Sport reporting that Mackay received an ultimatum via e-mail on Monday, it’s yet another twist in the bizarre legacy of Tan at Cardiff City Football Club. There’s no reason why Mackay would resign. If he was sacked, he would receive a hefty severance package, so it appears that Tan is making a desperate move to unsettle Mackay, which is exactly what the club doesn’t need as it tries to avoid relegation in the English Premier League.
The plot thickens.
Editor’s note: For the latest Bluebirds news, analysis and opinion, visit the Cardiff City team page.
Special Introductory Offer
- Starting price: $10/mo. for Sling Orange+Blue
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & Olympics
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FOX, FS1, FS2 and NBCSN
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & MLS
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more