As soon as the final whistle blew Wednesday night in Montevideo, Puma launched one of their most ambitious marketing campaigns of the last few years. The German sportswear company had the perfect client to be able to mix history and football with in the Uruguayan national team as many were going to be feeling ghosts of the past emerge when La Celeste became team number 32 in the World Cup. Puma were able to come up with one of the more brilliant marketing campaigns to release the Uruguay line of kits for the upcoming World Cup, of which there will be a third kit that will commemorate the historic feat.
Puma’s Ghost of 1950 campaign evokes and brings to life the most bitter and tragic moment in Brazilian football as well as the apotheosis of the Garra Charrúa when an underdog Uruguay defeated the host nation in the World Cup final in front of 200,000 fans.
In the video below, the ghost travels and makes itself present to all in the city of its greatest conquest. It terrorized Brazilians on Copacabana as well as on the streets of Barra De Tijuca and in the favelas. The ghost even took some time to dance over at the Sambodromo in Rio.
This Puma campaign, despite having a limited outlet knowing that Uruguay is not one of the biggest football markets when it comes to merchandising, is doing quite well. Currently the campaign is only in Spanish, but once this hits mainstream and begins to launch in different languages, it’s sure to.
No doubt that this campaign is ready to raise eyebrows and cause a great deal of humor to many, unless you’re Brazilian.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family