Clubs across Europe are trying to get their house in order to ensure compliance with UEFA’s Financial Fair Play regulations are adhered to. But there appears less concern in Paris and Monte Carlo than in most other cities over the continent. The continued lavish spending of the Ligue Un clubs appear on the face of it to suggest an imminent suspension for PSG and Monaco in next seasons European competition. However, this has not perturbed the trend of buying some of the star names in the game regardless of the price.
The key question must be whether UEFA have the fortitude to suspend teams from participating in Europe’s elite competitions and subsequently ensure that many of the star names plying their trade at these clubs cannot play at the top club level. Of course, many of these players could choose to lower their wage demands and ensure their clubs are in compliance with UEFA’s regulations. And perhaps pigs may fly over Lisbon for the half time show in this seasons Champions League finale!
It is difficult to imagine Heineken, Sony and Gazprom being content to sponsor an event missing many of the star billings that regularly appear throughout this most coveted tournament. French Clubs will also argue that they are unable to punch above their financial weight to ever mount a serious Champions League campaign without the financial backing of wealthy benefactors. The same rule clearly applies to Manchester City and Chelsea amongst others.
Foreign investment breathes new life into clubs. We may not all approve and there is clearly a need to safeguard the future of teams to ensure there are fewer cases akin to Leeds, Portsmouth and Chester FC in future. But for now, I find it highly unlikely it is in anyone’s interests for FFP to be implemented in Michel Platini’s current guise.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family