US international defender Oguchi Onyewu has joined Queens Park Rangers in the English Championship as a free agent.
Onyewu, who played for the United States in the 2010 World Cup, left Sporting in August after his contract was terminated by mutual consent. During the past few weeks, Onyewu has been training with QPR, and the club must have been impressed by what they saw to have offered him a contract.
On signing the deal, Onyewu said:
“QPR are a club with huge ambitions to return to the Premier League and I wanted to be part of it.
“I had a really good feeling about QPR from the moment I arrived here. I’ve been welcomed by the club and I feel good here already.
“I’ve already integrated well into the group, so I’m looking forward to what will hopefully be a very successful and happy time here.”
QPR teammate Joey Barton was quick to welcome Onyewu to the club:
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season