Cardiff City manager Malky Mackay was asked to resign as manager of the club prior to this week, according to a club insider that was interviewed by The Daily Mail newspaper.
There are very few details known, but what we do know is that Cardiff City’s head of recruitment Iain Moody has been removed from the club, and that he’s been replaced by 23-year-old Alisher Apsalyamov who is a friend of Tan’s son. Apsalyamov has no experience being a scout, and was recently one of the painters who decorated the Cardiff City Stadium.
The Mail added that the decision to remove Moody was made weeks before he was placed on “gardening leave” on Tuesday.
Despite few details being released, the story is turning into a PR nightmare for Cardiff City and the club’s owner Vincent Tan.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Malky Mackay was asked to resign by Cardiff City — The Mail
- Cardiff owner Vincent Tan enters Premier League hall of fame with promotion of odd-job man — Telegraph
- Manchester City launch plans for stadium expansion to Etihad Stadium — Manchester City
- Football manager’s importance played down by Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese — The Mirror
- Manchester City’s Champions League match against will remain at CSKA Moscow’s Khimki Arena — Telegraph
- Joey Barton: The FA is ‘archaic,’ ‘utterly out of its depth’ — Pro Soccer Talk
- Jack Wilshere may be dropped by England for Montenegro World Cup qualifier — The Mail
- Only 40 percent of Azteca capacity sold for Mexico vs. Panama — Pro Soccer Talk
- The race is on: Canada continues to plan on bid for 2026 World Cup — MLS Soccer
- Glenn Hoddle supports quotas to boost English levels in Premier League — The Guardian
- Uefa consider replacing friendlies with Nations League — Goal
- Foreign players enliven the Premier League – but have no place in the England team — The Guardian
- Mexico would team up with the USA to host 2026 World Cup tournament — MLS Soccer
- Roy Hodgson’s defining moment with England is here, and he knows it — The Guardian
- Ethiopia: A sleeping giant in African soccer is starting to stir — New York Times
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family