The Serie A this weekend started with Fiorentina vs. Bari at the Stadio Artemio Franchi. And while I expected Bari to take advantage of Fiorentina’s bad form, it was the Viola who took the game to Bari. The final result was a 2-1 win for the home side which dominated the game. Here’s what happened in that match, and a look ahead to the other fixtures we’ll see this weekend.
This game began with no action at all, neither side could create a decent chance, and any shots being taken were either over the bar, or ridiculously wide. In this boring beginning, it was Fiorentina who looked more dangerous with their high pressing which caused Bari to slow down. The first goal eventually came in the 34th minute, a very nice strike by Donadel which was probably intended to be a cross for Gilardino, yet the ball swerved away from Gillet, onto the post and in.
A great strike which didn’t spark life into the game which continued to be difficult to enjoy. Giampiero Ventura’s side were slow, and unable to create anything, while Fiorentina were more dynamic but still didn’t create much. Finally in the 82nd minute, Fiorentina scored another goal, it began with a great move from Ljajic who tried to curl a shot in, but Gillet parried. From there, Gilardino lept onto the ball, and somehow got it into the back of the net to make it 2-0.
The game seemed done and dusted, but Bari offered a small reaction to Fiorentina’s second goal, and the Galletti pulled one back in the 90th minute. A corner was swung into Fiorentina’s box, and Parisi made great contact with his head to make the score 2-1. The last minutes were filled with Fiorentina trying to waste time, while Bari frantically scampered around in search of an impossible equalizer.
The match ended 2-1 for Fiorentina, and it’s a fair result for the winners mainly because it seemed like they were the only team playing for most of the match. This win bumps Fiorentina up the table into 11th place, but we’ll have to see how other teams do this weekend, and whether Fiorentina will be overtaken by teams playing their matches tomorrow.
Probably the most interesting match which is happening tomorrow is Inter Milan – Sampdoria, a huge clash which Rafa Benitez’s side will need to win if they want to try and win the title. AC Milan will have to face Napoli in Naples, a tough match which could slow the rossoneri down in their run for the title. And the current table leaders, Lazio, will host Cagliari at the Stadio Olimpico.
It’s full of interesting matches coming up, and we had an okay one today. What are your thoughts regarding Fiorentina and Bari? Any predictions for tomorrow’s matches? Mine are a 3-1 win for Inter Milan over Sampdoria, a 2-2 draw between Napoli and AC Milan, and a 2-0 win for Lazio. Share yours by commenting below!
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Silva says Man City know what he wants amid Barcelona links
- Zamalek president jailed for insulting rival
- Peacock TV wishlist of improvements to enhance streaming service
- ‘Very good’: Werner says Flick encouraged him to return to Leipzig
- Alexis Sanchez joins Marseille after leaving Inter
- CAF launches new Super League to boost clubs
- Qatar World Cup start brought forward to November 20: sources
- Qatar World Cup to start a day early on November 20: sources
- Everton succumb to injuries and lack of talent early on in season
- Where to find the MLS All-Star Game vs. Liga MX on US TV