Connect with us

Leagues: EPL

7 Classic Commodore 64 Soccer Games

Classic Commodore 64 Soccer Games

Some of you may be too young to remember the Commodore 64 computer from the 1980’s, but for soccer fans such as myself who had time to kill, it was the best way to play soccer games on a home computer that sold millions around the world.

The C64 wasn’t a ZX Spectrum, which had plenty of classic soccer games too, but the games were pretty addictive. So, I decided to go back into the archives and to share some of them with you.

Here’s my selection of the top 7 games (all of which are now playable online in your browser):

1. International Soccer. This game was a classic and one of the best soccer action games ever released on the C64. The graphics, at the time, were cutting edge (don’t laugh). And after playing the game for some time, players figured out ways to bounce the ball on the player’s head and walk the ball into the goal. This game was so successful that a basketball version was released which had practically the same graphics except you would play with your hands and shoot into a hoop.
  2. Tracksuit Manager. I never owned this game when it was released in Europe in 1989, but playing it now it seems like one of the best football management games ever released. It’s easy to use and puts you right into managing England during a World Cup tournament.
  3. Football Manager II. When the game was released in 1988 as a sequel to the first Football Manager programmed by Kevin Toms, Your Sinclair magazine rated it an eight out of 10 and said that watching a match on the game was fascinating. Some newbies may disagree, but there’s no disagreeing that the game definitely pushed the envelope at the time in terms of football management simulations and is worth a trip down memory lane.
  4. Footballer Of The Year. Any game that features penalty kicks at it’s center is a winner for me because it makes the game so easy to understand and a joy to play. Plus the soundtrack by renowned Commodore 64 musician Ben Daglish is a true pleasure.
  5. Super Cup Football. This game must have been an early inspiration for the very successful Sensible Soccer, which is quite different than the majority of soccer games because your angle is viewed from directly above the field, looking down on the players.
  6. The Footballer. It’s such a simple game that it must have been programmed in the BASIC language, but sometimes less is more as this one can become quite addictive after you get a hang of how the game works.
  7. The Double. This one is particularly sensitive and, to be blunt, a pain in the arse to set up but once you get through the initial few screens and you’ve selected your team, it seems quite realistic and you can watch your own team play a match in a game that features some very retro graphics except they weren’t retro at the time!

Be sure to bookmark this page and when you have some downtime at home or work, go back in time and play these classic soccer games on the Commodore 64. Enjoy.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
16 Comments

16 Comments

1. George

May 17, 2022 at 9:05 am

2 major classic football games are missing from the list. The best two games were far far better than International Soccer and anything on this list.
    1. Emlyn Hughes
    2. Microprose Soccer
    In both, you could play tournaments too.

2. MD

January 7, 2018 at 11:23 pm

AGAIN PRESCIENTY: Newport County beating Leeds United in the 3rd round of the 2018 Fa Cup reminds of the 1980s Commodore game The Double.

Again presciently: This game was released in 1985 during the 1985-86 season when in which Liverpool won their first Classic Double of League+ FA Cup. (NO-ONE WOULDVE PREDICTED LIVERPOOL WOULD WIN THE REAL DOUBLE IN KENNYS 1ST SEASON AS PLAYER-MANAGER like Man Utd would surprisingly win 10 years later.)

When you’ve played it enough times, you realise its Raison d’ etre (or Reason To Be) is to work your way up from lowly clubs of the old 4th dvisioin to the 1st, then win the FA cupnd get offered the Liverpool job and win the FA Cup for them. — Liverpool could never win the FA cup either in real life in those days. But you know they probably win the league as they did in here too.

When you start, like in life you don’t get to choose where your born. So are asged to manages 4th division club through realistic League programme and Fa Cup games only. – No Europe and league cup.

If yore assigned to manage Newport you know you’ve got no chance. Who were the worst team in reality too, and used to finish bottom of thec
    4th division, but no relegation in those days.Your best chance is to not go to manage another cub, which you’ll be offered if you dont finish bottom.

If youre assigned another club you’ve a chance of promotion.

I used to try and go through all available 4th division clubs used to cheat and that’s how I won the FA Cup with Liverpool.

I used to cheat. And I won the FA cup with Derby. And got offered the Liverpool job, — I could save the cassette, and go back if I didnt win an FA cup match I would turn it off and reload it and play it again at same stage in season.

After getting promoted tonthe 3rd division with someone; then got offered the Derby job and I won the FA cup with Derby as a 2nd division team, another promotion, and also promotion to the to 1st division in same season

I don’t think I ever win the FA cup with Liverpool. But did win the League lots of times wth them.

In those days the most sought after and expensive defender was Eire’s and Tommy Caton of about 500-750k to boost Liverpool’s chance of remaining the league..

I think thats why I went through a whole season unbeaten in the League by saving it and reloading it.

3. MD

January 7, 2018 at 10:39 pm

Do you mean Emlyns Hughes Into Soccer or just Interational Soccer?

I played Emlyns Hughes in the long hot summer of 1989, and it was remarkably prescient of England’s real World Cup run of 1990, a year later.

How little did I know at the time!!!!

I used to play games and make my own tournaments out of them by doing my own draw for next years 1990 World Cup tournament. – Including qualifiers.

Then In would play the games. But habit less strenuously if I wasnt England.

The knockout games for my World Cup happened to be remarkably similar to the real England games if a year later in Italia 90. Like Belgium and Cameroon there.

Except in my version England played Luxembourg in the second round (1-0) and N Ireland in the quarter finals. Remarkably similar to the 3-2 game with Cameron except no extra time and was 4-2.

How little we knew at the time!!!!

I can’t remember who England played in the semi finals.

I used to the same with another 1980s football management game here there really were international tournaments, but not graphics. You could pick any European country and manage them through European Championship and WCup. – I was going to try and go through every one starting with Italy who were the best, down to the worst, Luxembourg.

First I want through all the main European countrys. – But I ended it after winning a tournament and satired my appetite with Belguim by stopping Italy win a record 5th tournament in a row. – When I I won the European Championship with Belgium in 1988.

I’m still chuffed by what I achieved and would like to have it on my CV. – Not Citroen CV,

• George

May 17, 2022 at 9:06 am

On the pic you cannot see Emlyn Hughes, but the old International Soccer which was a ridiculous game compared to Emlyn Hughes.

4. Royston

January 15, 2015 at 6:38 am

Has to be the Cult games football simulations. Spent hours playing ‘Striker’ and ‘Striker Manager’. ‘The Match’ was an addictive game and ‘Soccer Rivals’ was like a board game for multiplayers though you didn’t want the counter to land on the skull and crossbones in the bottom right corner as one of your players would die in a plane crash! I lost 5 players over the course of 2 seasons haha. Final whistle and Trebble Champions are worth a mention as excellent games. I agree with ‘International Soccer’ in terms of actual playability, I had the version that was ‘Emlyn Hughes International Soccer- Fantastic game.

5. Keith Miller

December 5, 2011 at 10:25 am

That was a trip down memory lane. I recall playing International Soccer quite a bit. My recollection may be corrupt, but I vaguely recall being able to shoot at goal from a certain angle (basically directly upwards from the bottom of screen) and due to the perspective of the goals that would give you an angled shot at goal that was essentially unstoppable. The trick was therefore to run down the bottom side line and get the timing right.

6. Avon

December 17, 2010 at 4:07 pm

The Double. Not everyone’s favourite but I spent years playing it. Released by Scanatron Ltd in 1986. Very addictive once you got into it, and quite a tough game to succeed at since you didn’t have any attribute or skills to look at when judging a players ability. You had to rely on scout reports which actually weren’t very reliable at all. Took quite a few seasons to build a succeful squad. I played the original Football Manager on the spccey (1982), The Boss, and then onto the Amiga with Player Manager and Senisible Soccer, but The Double was always my favourite.

7. mike

October 22, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I can’t see how you skipped “MISL Indoor Soccer”. This is is also plain addictive.

• George

May 17, 2022 at 9:07 am

It was great and it had an outdoor version too.

This list is simply bull****.

8. NoBluff

February 25, 2010 at 3:53 am

My friend had a game he played all the time, I am pretty sure it was Player Manager (someone mentioned it was on the Amiga), he was playing it in the late 80’s or early 90’s, which makes it nearly 20 years old, and I have yet to find another football game where you could manage and play (while actually controlling the player on the pitch).

If I remember correctly the player was nearing the end of his playing career, so made the move into management. What I liked about the game was that you could bring your favourite team from the lower leagues all the way to division 1 (don’t think the Premiership existed back then). I have only played the CM games, and I think the first one was the only one where you could start your team in the lower leagues. I sort of lost interest with the CM game when they took that away.

I would absolutely love the player/manager game to be revamped and released with the same basic concept, or maybe someone here can let me know if one already exists!

This game came out way before its time!

9. coachie ballgames

February 24, 2010 at 7:50 pm

nice roundup!

• George

May 17, 2022 at 9:09 am

No, it is not. Check out Microprose Soccer and Emlyn Hughes International Soccer.
      Italia ’90 is also OK.
      Peter Shilton’s is fine, you play the keeper there.
      In the game Striker, you are the striker, interesting game too.

10. Steve

February 24, 2010 at 5:09 pm

My favorite growing up was Superstar Soccer. I spent(wasted!) innumerable hours playing it. Looks like it was called “Gary Lineker’s…” in the UK.

11. Bunky Bowers

February 24, 2010 at 10:08 am

Never had a C64. Went from Kevin Toms’ FM on the Speccie to the fabulous Anco Player-manager on the Amiga. Now that was a game. What a player I was… ;o)

12. Simon Burke

February 24, 2010 at 9:32 am

Tracksuit Manager stole my childhood! Its awesome – I bet if you play it now the names are hilarious – Steven, Hoddle, Waddle, Lineker… !

Emlyn Hughes Internation Football was brilliant as well and has an MLS type championship as its tourny which i loved – crap now as its very slow but I’ll give all of these a bash at some point in the near future!

Footballer of the Year is fun but the music kills you… !