Connect with us

General

Football Stereotypes Infuriate Me

liverpool stereotypes

In my on going attempts to unite football supporters across the world, I want to shed some light on some ridiculous stereotypes that seem to follow certain groups of football fans quite unfairly. If you’re like me, you spend countless hours searching the web for news stories, discussion, debate and opinion. In addition to web surfing, I spend double that time listening to every football podcast under the sun to stay abreast of happenings in the beautiful game.

During this exploration, one tends to start hearing and reading similar themes in their pursuits. Similar themes that after the 35th mention dig under your skin and annoy you like that damn cowbell at Fratton Park after 90 minutes. By definition, a stereotype is “a simplified or standardized conception containing to a group“, so, is it safe to say that in actuality some stereotypes have a small bit of ground to stand on?  How do stereotypes ever originate? They’ve got to start somewhere, and since it’s human nature to observe and form opinion (even if those opinions are judgemental and preconceived) one can see why so many unfair stereotypes are born.

I want to get feedback on stereotypes pertaining to football fans, clubs, players and even the media in hopes if we all realize how ridiculous they are, we can subsequently stop using them and eliminate them from our respective cultures. Here’s a few popular ones that particularly infuriate me.

All American Manchester United fans are bangwagon fans, spoiled and have no right or claim to the club, their idea of watching “man U soccer” consists of catching highlights on Sports Center and watching Ronaldo YouTube Clips– Sure, that might pertain to a small minority of Manchester United supporters in the states, but it’s so easy for opposing fans to smack a label on them and dismiss their true passion for football simply because the club is immensely successful. I understand Manchester United are extremely popular in the States, but that’s not such a bad thing. Manchester United as a club have helped the growth of football in America just as much or more than any other club. One must first look at when, where, how and why a person picked the club they support. If they answer, “I picked them right after they won the Premiership/European Cup/etc.”, then sure, have a go at them. If they answer anything else that seems the least bit justified, leave them alone and focus your energy on your own club. Also important, until just recently, United were one of a small number of clubs that were available to watch on a regular basis in the States. Simply put, there are certainly many other popular clubs that Americans support, why single out Manchester United fans? The other three clubs in the traditional top 4 have immense support in the States. Real Madrid and Barcelona of Spain’s La Liga are equally as massive, two clubs where the trophy cabinets definitely aren’t empty.

Fans of Liverpool FC in Liverpool and surrounding areas in England are all thieving, stealing people and speak with a Scouse accent so thick it’s considered foreign language – recently a very influential radio host in this country took a lot of flack from a supporters group for his overly biased stance on Liverpool FC and the people of Liverpool. So much so, it resulted in his shows dissolution. He’s since launched a similar show under a paid format, but to put an entire fan base and city of people into a shambolic stereotype that may only apply to a select minority is shambolic in and of itself. This stereotype not only offended a large group of people, it destroyed the credibility this individual built with an equally large group of American Liverpool supporters.

Stereotypes infuriate me. They are ugly and belong no where near our beautiful game. In the process of supporting ones club, it’s so easy to get caught up in the negative aspect of competition. Giving a bit of stick is one thing, assuming an entire group or population are all identical in an antagonistic way is the root of a stereotype and shouldn’t go hand in hand with supporting a football club. What football stereotypes bother you? Can we agree their lingering stinch should be eliminated from our beautiful game? Feel free to leave a (respectable) comment.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
59 Comments

59 Comments

1. Robby T

January 17, 2010 at 10:58 am

I see we have a lot of gloryhunters who have never even been to England and think of themselves as true fans. Brilliant

No, really…you all are brilliant with your support buying jerseys while on the couch. You really “get” your team on the couch.

2. troy

January 17, 2010 at 2:36 am

I find this thread fascinating. I love EPL and have been watching for about forever. This fall one of my best friends wanted to learn the league and he knew that I am a United fan. I told him that I wanted him to watch some matches with me (of all teams, not just United) in order to make an accurate assessment on how he feels about the league. I didn’t berate him for his lack of knowledge instead, I took him under my wing, taught him about all the cups, tournaments, and lingo. I think that far too often in America there are people that would rather tear each other down than embrace one another. I encourage him to root for who he sees fit, but have cautioned him in the proper way of representing oneself as a supporter. For all I care, he can go on and support City. I’m just happy that someone is willing to take the effort to educate themselves and show passion about their team. In the end, we’re all fans of the beautiful game. All it takes is two or three questions to find out how well a supporter knows their team.

3. dhines

January 17, 2010 at 2:31 am

robG, i am with you 100%. it isn’t that an american pulling for an EPL squad makes them a fake, it is the manner in which they do it. you know, the fake british accent, the artifical rivalry, etc.

i would expect that there are people in europe that enjoy watching my university (USC) play college football. honesty, i think that is great. but, i would really laugh at them if they started trying to talk like a surfer guy (because dude, isn’t that the way all SC guys talk?) or hating on UCLA and westwood.

4. pall_good

January 16, 2010 at 6:43 pm

All arsenal fans in the states are people who went to london for a semester abroad and most don’t even know when the team is playing… Oh wait, this about debunking stereotypes? My bad…

5. IanCransonsKnees

January 16, 2010 at 3:24 pm

“Most of the Americans I know that follow soccer are far more passionate and informed about the team than many of the Brits I know who live not far from their local ground of the team they support.

The Gaffer”

Most of them will be gloryhunting bastards who travel the length and breadth of the country like cattle on the way to market to visit Old Trafford, Anfield, The Emirates and Stamford Bridge. The amount of times I’ve driven home from work and seen “Oxford/Surrey/Devon Reds” coaches trundling up the motorway, or the spineless locals who will have been attending The Britannia Stadium in the away end with the bindipping scouse twats. When I went to Anfield last season the amount of tourists photographing themselves and then travelling back down the motorway, passing Stoke fans was unreal. I couldn’t stomach it if it were my club. Thats the English for you though.

Foriegn fans I don’t think anyone can have a dig at for supporting a particular club. today we had twenty Norwiegens around us who’d come over, they’ve got a Stoke fan club of over 400 memebers in Norway all because they used to watch us on TV in the 60s and 70s. It’s the same in Sweden, we have a daft following over there for such a small club in terms of exposure. We have a radio station in the Canary Islands that transmits our matches in Africa because of our following in Senegal! There are some Inter Milan fans who own a sports bar in Milan who’ve taken us on as their second team. They watched us in 92 when we lost the Championship Play offs to Leicester City. Since then they’ve been over and watched us and reckon that it’s one of the best experience’s they’ve had.

Our foriegn fans come over and are welcomed with open arms by the locals, get shown around, taken to matches and out on the lash together. I think it’s easy to do this because they’re not attching themselves to us because of any major success. If we had a sudden influx of new fans because we won the Fa Cup or made it to Europe then it’d be different I think. You’ve got to be off your rocker to come over to Stoke (a third world city) and spunk all your hard earned watching a shocking brand of football. If you do you’ll get the upmost respect from the locals and probably drawn even further into the habit!

6. zahed

January 16, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I’ve been around the world and each time I meet a liverpool fan, you can tell that they are true fans…they would never let you walk alone. You can find the friendliest people in merseyside. The other I finally had a chat with this guy at the pub whom I always see him with a Man U jersey…wanker didn’t even know the scores of the last two games!

7. mancyank

January 16, 2010 at 10:53 am

The whole reason I got into united was because they were on television the most when I was young here in the states. i grew familiar with their players and found myself rooting for them every game i could watch, although the only games shown here were champions league matches. As i got older and more internet savvy, i was able to find streams of matches and watch them week in and week out. years later, i am still watching and supporting united to the best of my ability.
    give these “bandwagon” supporters a chance. with all of the recent tv deals that have been made to make the european teams more accessible in the US, we’re gonna be getting some new, inexperienced supporters.
    also, the term “ManU” is hated by united fans (http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/8889/manutdnomanufd1.jpg). start reminding these “diehards” of this.

8. patrick

January 16, 2010 at 8:42 am

There are more Man U fans in Essex then in greater Manchester…

as for Liverpool, spend a day in Huyton… then get back to us.

and your forgot Spud fans are delusional. Millwall fans live in caravans, There are no real Wigan fans, Chelsea fans nibble on prawn sarnies and sip chardonnay. Newcastle supporters are all chavs (wiiiiyy ieee man), Leeds are knuckle draggers, and so on…

England is still a very provincial place and actually geographically small… this stuff is to be expected, and other wise ignored.

9. fugue

January 16, 2010 at 4:02 am

relax… we’re footie fans. we’re not supposed to be happy

10. jleau

January 16, 2010 at 1:36 am

How about American bloggers using ridiculous English expressions as if that somehow makes a soccer discussion more authentic? I have never heard the word “shambolic” used by an American in regular conversation ever. Jesse if your an American, speak like one.

By the way English fans can never decide what they want. Simultaneouly bragging about having the worlds most competitive and popular league and bitching about foreign players and fans. One can’t exist without the other.

• Josh

January 16, 2010 at 6:31 am

Actually, since I watch (a lot) more soccer, I find myself using words I normally wouldn’t use, like dreadful, spot on, and c**t (thank you arseblog)

11. RobG

January 15, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Any EPL supporter, no matter how they picked their team or who they support, is welcome in my book. The more popular the League the better I say.

Watching fellow Americans mimic the “hate thy enemy” tribalism that is the birthright of English supporters makes me laugh. I mean, how ridiculous would it look if you saw a Englishman in a pub in Liverpool wearing an Auburn Tigers jersey and spouting off obscenities about Alabama fans?

• ovalball

January 15, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Ahhh, sanity!

12. Kopite in OK

January 15, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I’ve been following Liverpool since 2000ish (2001 at the earliest), so if anything I am far from being a glory-hunter like some of these Manyoo b*stards here n the US.

Manyoo mugs: Just admit it. The ONLY reason why you support that pathetic cheating lot of yours is because you have “heard of them” before.

Suck on that.

• Henry H

January 15, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Preach

13. LI Matt

January 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm

What do you expect?

People coming in from the outside, with no home or family ties to any club … why would they support a Wigan or a Blackburn? Why would they volunteer to bang their heads against a wall? What’s the point?

Obviously if you’re from someplace you have to support the local team, however hopeless they may be (says the New York Red Bulls supporter :/ ) But a foreign country, where you can pick anyone? What do you think is going to happen?

14. coachie ballgames

January 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm

just wanted to back up this article. I was a kid in the early 90s, pre-internet (hard to imagine I know), what little soccer there was was shown on the MSG cable network in NYC. They would mostly show Man United highlights. What could I do? There wasn’t even a way to see league tables. The NY Times would later start running a “soccer tuesday” column but still, it was near impossible to know what clubs even existed. I was too young to head down to Nevada’s. And once you’re a fan of a club as a kid, it’s hard to change tracks as an adult.

15. Andrew

January 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Can’t stand the “glory hunter” stereotype. It’s such pretentious drivel, unbelievably elitist garbage.

16. Skipper

January 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm

greetings from Russia!
    cool picture)

17. kevin_amold

January 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm

If the stereotyped portrayed by the accompanying picture is wrong, then I don’t want to be right!!

hey-ooo!

18. MasterBlaster

January 15, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Interesting subject; any time I’m at school or in public I find it great to see anyone wearing a football shirt. I could care less about how they became a fan of the team or whether they watch a game at 7am on Saturday morning. It’s still much better than someone wearing a Chicago Bears jersey or a Dallas Cowboys hat.

More recently when shopping, I was wearing as Aston Villa scarf. An elderly woman with a British accent stopped and got really excited and said hello. Turned out she was born and raised in Birmingham for 50+ years and moved to the states because her children had moved her. A complete stranger…and I ended up talking to her about England and football for over 30+ minutes. Keep in mind, she was about 80 years of age and I am currently 29. It was truly amazing. And I love stuff like that happening.

19. dhines

January 15, 2010 at 4:10 pm

btw, when i say ‘most manU fans are bandwagon jumpers’ keep in mind i am counting the typical AYSO teenager that says “i love manU, they are my favorite. ronaldo still plays for them, right?”

when you add up all those AYSO types, and compare it to the knowledgable EPL loving manU american fan, you will see that the ignorant ones greatly outnumber the true followers.

20. dhines

January 15, 2010 at 4:05 pm

IMO, sporting stereotypes are 70% truth, 30% BS . . . that may not be politically correct, but that is my take on it. and i will put it this way, there will be a limited amount of security for the upcoming world cup. do you think they should be allocated without regard to who is playing in what venue? because after all, if you start allocating the security force with regard to who is playing, aren’t you doing so based on ‘stereotypes’?

point is, there is nothing wrong with stereotypes . . . so long as you don’t close your mind to the fact that there will be exceptions to the rule. not all american manU fans are bandwagon jumpers, but most are. not all chivas fans are scum, but most are. going forward, spare me the politically correct BS.

21. RobG

January 15, 2010 at 3:26 pm

The “locals only” stuff makes me laugh. Without the foreign owners and fans with their euros, dollars, and yuan, the English clubs could never compete against their European rivals. Does anyone think owners spend hundreds of millions to keep a bunch of working class drunks in Liverpool and Manchester happy? Here’s a hint: it’s to sell jerseys in China mate! For every big name signing the Top 4 make, they should thank their international fans for making it happen.

• ovalball

January 15, 2010 at 3:54 pm

“…working class drunks in Liverpool and Manchester…”

Speaking of stereotypes…..

22. Christopher

January 15, 2010 at 3:14 pm

If you happen to support one of the “big four clubs” your bound to get that stereotype thrown your way, though I’m fortunate enough that the people that really know me understand I’m not a Chelsea fan for “bandwagon-y” reasons.

23. The Gaffer

January 15, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Most of the Americans I know that follow soccer are far more passionate and informed about the team than many of the Brits I know who live not far from their local ground of the team they support. This is one of the impacts of globalization due to the prevalence of the game both on television and the Internet. Many Americans know far more about what’s going on at the club they support (and sooner) than Brits living in the UK.

• dbm

January 15, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Thank you!

24. dbm

January 15, 2010 at 2:45 pm

This “locals only” snobbery is such a joke. The EPL isn’t a “locals only” league so why should the fanbase be the same?

25. Chris

January 15, 2010 at 2:39 pm

All I know is that I wake up every saturday or sunday morning sometimes at 6:30 am just to catch the united match. I own About 12 shirts For the club I pay 27 dollars a month just to see the games, and I used to have to pay 20 or 30 bucks for every FA cup match. I love manchester united and will die a fan ot the red devils. BUT yes I picked them based on random match shown on my local fox sports channel They played arsenal and won. I knew nothing about the epl or pro soccer in general. I thought the “United” team name was really cool. Then I started playing fifa and always picked them. Through that i noticed they were basically the best team in the game. I hadn’t yet decided they were my favorite team I just liked them as a casual fan. Then I started watching epl matches and noticed all their games were televised on directv so yeah I followed them. If that makes me a front runner I honestly don’t care I know I love that club just as much as any other fan. And to be honest I have no problem with someone in the sates wearing a United shirt or hell any jersey even liverpool shirt. even if they dont really follow the team. Thats one of the problems with american soccer fans, they would rather call someone a front runner of make fun of them for not knowing the game. If we want the game to grow in this country you have to let outsiders in and accept that they arent going to bleed the colors of their team. There is nothing wrong with a casual soccer fan.

26. billmapguy

January 15, 2010 at 2:19 pm

I don’t think it’s accurate to say ïf you have never been to their stadium you are not a fan. If you have bought merchandise of a football club you are by definition a supporter.

27. Terry

January 15, 2010 at 2:15 pm

With anything you find and become interested in, it is only natural to end up liking what you know and are familiar with. If you are new to classical music become interested and listen to what is on the radio, you’re gonna become a Beethoven or Mozart fan first before you find out about other composers out there and maybe pick one of them as your favorite. If you are new to disco and become interested you’ll hear the Bee-Gees or Donna Summer, the best of the lot, before you have a chance to dig in deeper to find a lessor known band you might like.

Look, the significant growth of soccer in the US really starts around the 1994 World Cup. Major League Soccer started in 1996. So you have new fans popping up in this country. They’re not all die-hards, most are casual fans, which I would guess is true about every sport. And most of them are not complete idiots; they understand their local league isn’t the best and some are curious about the good leagues. Well, just around that same time, in 1992, the EPL was created. It has the lucrative branding deal. Well, what is the history of the EPL. Man Utd wins the first two championships, 4 of the first 5, 8 of the first 11. So a person here looking overseas at soccer in the 90s, becoming a fan of the EPL will just naturally become a fan of what they see most of… and that would be the most successful club and the brand of the EPL, Manchester United. It is really insane to presume that new fans (bandwagon, casual, or whatever) would be distributed more evenly amongst all the other unsuccessful clubs. I’m sure overseas baseball fans flock to the Yankees for the same reason; successful teams become the brand for the league overseas.

I would suspect that Chelsea has the best potential for growth of so-called bandwagon fans in the next few years since they appear to be the only team to consistently challenge United. I’d also suspect that the next most favorite baseball teams over there are challengers to the Yankees… maybe the Red Sox or Dodgers.

As for Liverpool… it just doesn’t sound good to me. Like Blackpool too… it just makes me think of “cesspool”. And then when you know what little kids do in pools… I’m not to fond of liver either… maybe a name change would help?

28. James

January 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm

as the Onion shirt says, “Stereotypes Are Real Time Savers”

29. Eric

January 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm

How about bloggers who can’t spell?

“In my on going attempts to unite football” — It’s “ongoing”

30. James Dunn

January 15, 2010 at 12:29 pm

All the bitching about who is a real fan is hilarious. I’ve been a Manu fan for 30+ years in the USA. I’ve only been a Fulham fan since McBride. I’m really glory hunting at Fulham aren’t I?

Tell me true fans, is being a douchebag a natural thing for you all or do you have to say a mantra in the mirror every morning along the lines of “I will be a douchebag today. My Mom says I’m the smartest boy in the class”

• Kevin

January 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Unfortunately I haven’t come into contact with these people a whole lot in real life.

• ovalball

January 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm

“A “real fan” of a foreign club in the US is someone who watches the matches, can name a typical starting XI, etc. If someone can do that, I have respect for them.”

Thank you.

• Scott

January 16, 2010 at 1:26 am

Wow, thanks to Rafa’s unending quest to change his starting XI for every match ever played, this really challenges my fanhood. More seriously, though, hard to disagree with this.

31. Robby Tint

January 15, 2010 at 12:10 pm

The problem with gloryhunters these days is that they have the power of Google at their finger tips so they can google a few history bits and act like they are and have been long-time fans of a team. It’s sickening.

If you haven’t been to the stadium of your team, you aren’t a fan. You are simply someone who wants to be associated with a winning team. Stop acting like Man United just came to you randomly…we hear that all the time…yet funny, why do non-Big-4 teams not have as many fans in the US see this at “random” as well? Yes, we know…Man U is on TV more, etc….MY POINT EXACTLY

If you go on any forum, you can eventually root out gloryhunters. They pronounce words wrong, don’t go in depth about things, and generally have little actual knowledge about the TRUE aspects of the team and ESPECIALLY the surrounding area around the team.

• Josh

January 15, 2010 at 12:22 pm

eh, I think that’s a little harsh. Granted the first reason I liked Arsenal 4 years ago was because of Henry, I then bought into the system of developing a winning team through youth and playing with slick passing moves. For the last 2 seasons I’ve woken up in the morning to watch or listen to the games and I’ve only missed a couple of FA Cup Ties because of faulty streams. I don’t have the money to go to London, but I will when I get out of college. Does that mean I’m not a real fan?

• ovalball

January 15, 2010 at 12:46 pm

“If you haven’t been to the stadium of your team, you aren’t a fan.”

That is patently ridiculous.

Fulham FAN

• Ryan

January 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Robby to say that someone isn’t a fan because they haven’t gone to the stadium is flat out ridiculous. People go there whole lives without ever going to see their team play at their stadium and are still diehard fans. My friend has been raised to be New York Giants fan his whole life but has never seen them play at there stadium. I would like to see say to his face that he isn’t a real fan becuase he has never been to Giants Stadium.
      I myself have been a Chelsea fan for 3 years now and I get up every Saturday or Sunday morning to either watch the game at home or drive 20mins to Anna Liffey’s Irish Pub in New Haven to watch the game there with my friends. I also leave my job early on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to go to that same pub to watch Champions League games. So am I not a fan? I have never been to London before either but plan on going this spring or late summer to see a match and last summer I was lucky enough Chelsea came to the US to play and saw them in Baltimore.

• Christopher

January 15, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I was fortunate enough to see Chelsea in Dallas and one of these days (hopefully sooner rather than later) I can get a chance to watch one at Stamford Bridge too.

• Shakira

January 15, 2010 at 2:28 pm

You have to be kidding me, so your saying since I have never been to Pride Park I am not a “real” Derby fan. You need to get a clue.

• Panda

January 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I’d consider someone like that a bigger fan actually…that you’re so far removed from your club yet you still support them. You may not be a “baptized” fan but whatever, still a fan.

• robert

January 16, 2010 at 2:20 am

associating yourself with a team because you’ve been a fan longer, or for a better reason, or because you’ve been to their stadium is like driving up to a stop light in a car with the radio blasting, rapping at the top of your lungs for the sole purpose of hoping people will think you’re cool by association. problem is, everyone thinks you’re an idiot. even the people who like the music you’re destroying.

face it. we’re all fans. so turn down your radio robby.

32. Josh

January 15, 2010 at 11:55 am

I know a few kids who like Man U, and I detest them and their bandwagon jumping ways……Granted for all I know they wake up early on saturdays and stream games like I do…..I just highly doubt it, so reading Facebook statuses about how proud they are of “their” team grinds my gears. Though, there are a lot of guys I know that are actual fans, none of them are for Man U

33. Toby

January 15, 2010 at 11:52 am

You make a great point on ManU. Until I was able to get FSC recently the Red Devils were pretty much all I ever saw.

34. Kevin

January 15, 2010 at 11:49 am

^Though this applies to any American wearing a football shirt; I’m not singling out Man Utd.

• nick

January 15, 2010 at 9:28 pm

if you see someone in a villa shirt, tell them that opinion. If they slap you, it’s me 🙂

35. Kevin

January 15, 2010 at 11:47 am

“Small minority”? I’d say 80% of people who own Man Utd apparel in the States DON’T watch the club week in and week out.

• CA_backpacker

January 15, 2010 at 12:02 pm

And you come to this conclusion how? Let’s face it, football (ie, soccer) still is a sport in its infancy in the USA, and fans of the Premiership are still quite rare. If you meet someone in the USA who shelled out their cash on gear for any Premier team, thinking that they don’t regularly watch said team is just off. If someone’s going to be a bandwaggon casual fan, they will pick up stuff from an NBA, NFL, MLB, or NHL team that people around them are going to recognize!

• Kevin

January 15, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Because I see countless people wearing shirts of the big four, and know almost nobody else my age at school who wakes up early during the weekend to find streams?

• Eric T

January 15, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I know 8 kids who claim they “support” United at my school. Not one of them actually watches their games on a regular basis nor knows their starting XI past Rooney. So, from personal experience, I’m inclined to agree with the first stereotype.

• robert

January 16, 2010 at 2:07 am

i’m a grade school teacher and the only shirts i see on campus are chelsea, arsenal, and inter, and italia. in ten years, not a single man u shirt. A dad of a student of mine and I just went in together on some fulham gear and are off to a pub this weekend to catch the blackburn match. 5 miles away where i student taught they all wear mexican league shirts. man u? who dey?

• Modric

December 28, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Arsenal suck come on you spurs 3-2

36. Brian

January 15, 2010 at 11:17 am

Haha, the two stereotypes that you pick to deride as false are mostly true, pretty sad, lol.

37. StephenLucey

January 15, 2010 at 10:47 am

These are not urgent concerns.

38. chinese alan

January 15, 2010 at 10:32 am

clearly you haven’t spent enough time in beautiful merseyside