After just one month of the 2009-2010 Premier League season, ESPN2 has generated an average viewing audience of 274,128 according to Nielsen Ratings.
The ratings are impressive thus far given the fact that no two heavyweight teams have faced each other on ESPN2 as of yet. The first massive match-up to be aired on ESPN2 will be the October 31st clash between Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur. The other key component is timing. A game on a Monday afternoon before the NFL season kicks off is going to generate more viewers than an early Saturday morning kick-off.
That said, here are the TV ratings for Premier League games aired on ESPN2 from August 15 to September 19, 2009:
- Liverpool v Aston Villa, Mon., Aug. 24, 3 pm, 398,391 viewers
- Wigan v Man United, Sat., Aug. 22, 10 am, 374,799
- Chelsea v Burnley, Sat., Aug. 29, 7:45 am, 253,934
- Liverpool v Burnley, Sat., Sept. 12, 10 am, 253,779
- Burnley v Sunderland, Sat., Sept. 19, 7:45 am, 199,380
- Chelsea v Hull City, Sat., Aug. 15, 7:45 am, 164,485
In comparison, the highest TV ratings published for Fox Soccer Channel for a Premier League match was 230,000 in February, 2009 for Liverpool against Chelsea.
What are your impressions of the TV ratings thus far? How high do you think they’ll get this season, and how do you think this Saturday’s ESPN2 clash between Everton and Portsmouth will do? Click the comments link below and share your feedback.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, FS1, FS2, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $4.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ