Connect with us

Jose Torres

Jose Francisco Torres Speaks

jose-francisco-torres2

From today’s training session here in scorching hot South Florida:

“My career is in Mexico, my team is in Mexico,
I have been there since I was 16 years old and now I am on the other
side with the US national team. I think it is going to be a great
game, playing against Mexico in Mexico. We are going down there to try
and beat Mexico.”

“I get it a lot (boos), with my club team I get it a lot.
I guess it is part of soccer, people will say things, boo you, I am
used to it – I don’t think it will hurt me or anything. I am prepared
for anything.”

On playing for the USA:
“People say I am a traitor that I am a racist, because I am
with the US team, but it is part of soccer everything, words won’t
hurt you, won’t kill you. I just try to work hard everyday and do my
best, give everything I’ve got to earn myself a spot on the Us
national team. I am ready and prepared for this game, to live it.”

“At first I never knew, I had the
chance to play in the Olympic games but my team didn’t release me – I
never knew I would make it to the national team – I thought my chance
was over and I think Bob when he sees talent he keeps his attention on
you. I am doing good things with my team and trying to do good things
here with Bob, I am happy and I don’t regret the decision I made – I
am good with the national team.”

“It was a good experience in South Africa – I wanted
to play but I was there with the team. It was a good experience to see
Italy, Brazil and Spain and beat Spain that is one of the great teams
in the world, I think we did a great job and now I think we will do a
good job in Mexico.

Torres prefers playing on the left side of midfield.
“I like to get on the ball and attack.”

On Azteca:

“Its part of the show, probably won’t
hear each other because the stadium is so loud. I can block it off,
its not going to bother me at all, if I get to play, I’ll probably get
booed – but its part of the game”

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more

17 Comments

17 Comments

1. cheap coach boots

November 1, 2011 at 4:56 am

very nice post.. so great.

2. sheepskin uggs

November 1, 2011 at 4:55 am

And the award for cheapest blogger with the slowest server goes
    to……….

3. replica designer sandals

July 17, 2010 at 1:12 am

4. replica designer shoes

July 17, 2010 at 1:12 am

so nice ball

5. Rex

August 11, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Besides Ching, Holden and Clark (Dynamo vs PUMAS but not Azteca), Torres is the only player to have played in Mexico City in the past 2 years I believe. So maybe he’s more prepared to handle the atmopshere rather than less prepared…

6. soccer goals

August 11, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I hope that he continue to receive callups.

7. Adam Edg

August 11, 2009 at 10:36 am

I thought the racist comment was funny as well. Would it not be more racist for JFT to play for Mexico in this case? I mean, he would be abandoning the country of his birth and its multi-ethnic players for a squad made up of primarily one race…
    And from my experience, the fans at the Azteca are some of the most racist in the world. Ask black players from the US, Panama, Jamaica, or any of the other nations in our part of the world with a significant black population how they are treated in Mexico. Mexican fans are not too hip on white guys either…
    Personally I think our diversity of race is one of the things that makes our national team amazing. No other nation is as diverse. France is probably the closest. But when you add in our diversity of talent, experience, ability, and training combined with American fortitude, we have got to be one of the most unique national teams on the planet. Once we figure out how to properly put these pieces together on a consistent basis, we will dominate the sport.

8. Joey Clams

August 11, 2009 at 9:05 am

Walking out to your mailbox or admiring the cardinals in the backyard is a racist act in the United States.

9. gmonsoon43

August 11, 2009 at 8:40 am

I find the racist comment comical, to think that fans would consider him racist for suiting up for a team, the US, that is more racially diverse than Mexico.

10. Joey Clams

August 11, 2009 at 7:40 am

No, he’s not screwed one way or the other. And Mexican-Americans from Texas don’t normally call themselves Chicanos.

If we sometimes find rhetoric from Mexico irrational and dripping with malice, consider that Torres says that people consider him racist merely for suiting up for the country of his birth.

11. Mexico, 2009 Gold Cup Champions

August 11, 2009 at 2:47 am

He’s gonna get booed a ton. There’s no way a kid his age will handle the hatred. It will be more towards him than Landon.

Bradley would be stupid to play him. JFT may have the talent, but he won’t have the fortitude to not succumb to the crowd.

I understand why he made his decision, but he will pay for it. Mexico is a vicious beast who does not forgive.

12. ajr

August 10, 2009 at 11:02 pm

screwed if he did or didnt… but glad he’s a chicano like me

13. TheseColorsDoNotRun

August 10, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Torres can ball.

He can bring something very special to the table — composure with the ball and the ability to play smart football, maintaining possession.

We have very few players with these qualities. Donovan, Dempsey? Excellent players, but naturally suited to roles either as supporting strikers or wide midfielders. Bradley? A great worker, with a rare and valuable sense of when and how to trail the play going forwards.

But in terms of passing through the midfield, currently Torres and Benny are the best we’ve got.

Here’s hoping Bob gives Torres a proper shot to make his mark.

14. Rex

August 10, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Man, I would love to lure this kid over to MLS. I think Torres along with Stuart Holden would be great as the new faces of MLS and American soccer.
    (yes i know it wont happen and he’s probably better off in Mexico)

15. Rob

August 10, 2009 at 7:55 pm

One of my favorite US players. I think that Jose has a great touch on the ball and has excellent vision as well. I really think he and Bradley (the player) could form a great duo if they were given the chance. He is just a very smooth player if you ask me.

Here’s to hoping we see him and he has a good one.

16. Dunch

August 10, 2009 at 6:50 pm

A tough decision this kid had to make- it will be emotional for him no doubt- hope he comes through it okay.

17. Lars

August 10, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Looks like he’s a true sportsman. I like it.