Connect with us

General

Mitchell And Webb Tackle Plastic Football Fans

Tip of the hat to Two Footed Tackle for uncovering the video.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
8 Comments

8 Comments

1. Gav

July 8, 2009 at 11:39 am

oh, and yes I forgot to say, TBW – despite what you say, your whole blurb is evidence that you maybe do not have a as big of a sense of humor as you think. It definitely belongs here 😀

2. Gav

July 8, 2009 at 11:37 am

hilarious video.
    to follow up on what Darren said, my wife (a yank who hates footie) often says the same when I talk of my beloved Liverpool as I’m from Ireland and only been to Anfield once. As much as the clip is a poke at myself, I was lauging my @ss off! I’d send it to my wife for her to laugh also, but she’d probably just use it against me come August!! lol

3. Darren

July 7, 2009 at 11:22 am

Quality. This reminds me of of conversations I have with my wife when I say ‘we’ when discussing Arsenal. Or rather, me talking to her about Arsenal.
    She just ‘doesn’t understand.’

4. Jaime

July 7, 2009 at 10:32 am

That was brilliant! Explains perfectly the people who youd think all year dont give a toss about football then all of a sudden Manure or Liverpool win a trophy and all of a sudden they have fans every where. Then I get the mickey taken out of me cause Ive been wearing my Arsenal colors all year. Its pathetic really. I just kinda laugh at there lot cause in two weeks time they will have forgotten all about it and could care less.

5. TBW

July 7, 2009 at 10:23 am

I’m confused. I thought that this was a football website. I mean, first off, yes I am an LFC supporter; but if that was about Man Utd or Chelsea, I think that I would still feel the same way about it. Its not that sentiment of the video is wrong or that those of us that support football clubs don’t sometimes sound daft when talking about it to others, its that this site should be refuge from that sort of anti-football fare.

Its the line in the video where the guy says ” you don’t understand.” Sure it sounds like a cliche cop-out, but I bet most of you reading this knew what he meant.

I mean I wake up in the morning and the first thing I do is read about liverpool. I go to bed at night thinking about liverpool. It is the single greatest thing in my life that affects my day to day mood. I agree that it is a sad commentary that I say that about something that transpires 3000 miles away and something that I have zero control over. But those are the facts. And I didn’t come to this site to be made to feel bad about it. In fact, I love it and it seems to me that I should go to sites that agree with me.

The line in there where Indy says that the LFC guy lives 200 miles from the football club he supports and makes it seem arbitrary that the other guy supports LFC seems totally at odds with this site. I mean I thought this site was primarily for people living in America and interested in the BPL (Sorry guys they renamed the league you know) so wouldn’t that line apply to a lot of your frequent readers? Didn’t you also just publish stories about picking your Premier League side? By the logic espoused in the video the only people to have a claim to support a side are the ones who were born the shadow of the ground.

Let me restate: its not that I don’t have a sense of humour; M&W were spot on with their commentary. I just don’t think it belongs here.

• The Gaffer

July 7, 2009 at 7:06 pm

TBW, most of the visitors to the site come from the UK (US visitors are less than 50%), so the video will be relevant to many of them. For the rest of the readers, myself included, we live thousands of miles away from the clubs. It wasn’t meant to be a commentary, just more of a laugh at football fans who only become “huge” fans in May as Jaime mentions below.

• Jaime

July 7, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Cheers Gaffer well put.

• Donald

July 26, 2010 at 10:04 am

This video isn’t anti-football. It’s pro-football. It’s just anti-plastic fans.